What is that whiteish stuff on bad batteries (ruins stuff)?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:50:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The AA battery was in a deep slot where you can't get a finger or brush easily in there to clean the alkali, but you can get a liquid (such as vinegar in there).
On 08/13/2015 9:40 PM, MNMikeW wrote:

You want to let it soak in for a while, and using a wooden skewer or similar to dislodge any caked material is good...
Then rinse well with water (pure/distilled if possible, rain water is not bad, well water may not be good).
John :-#)#
John Robertson wrote:

Would urine work?
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:32:12 +0000 (UTC), Steven Bornfeld

Only in the morning: <http://www.chemcraft.net/acidph2.html In a pH balanced body. urine is slightly acid in the morning, (pH = 6.5 - 7.0) generally becoming more alkaline (pH = 7.5 - 8.0) by evening in healthy people primarily because no food or beverages are consumed while sleeping. Whereas, during the day the body buffers the pH of the food and beverages consumed by releasing electrolytes and the pH level goes up. This process allows the kidneys to begin the elimination process slowly.

Also, if you're a meat eater or cannibal: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine#pH A diet which is high in protein from meat and dairy, as well as alcohol consumption can reduce urine pH, whilst potassium and organic acids such as from diets high in fruit and vegetables can increase the pH and make it more alkaline.
So, if you're going to clean up your leaky battery residue with urine, do it in the morning, after a steak breakfast.
On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 5:50:21 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I assume based on your battery experiences, you buy this by the gallon. ?? :)
On 8/14/2015 9:36 AM, Thomas wrote:

Oddly enough, only used it once.
Today I decided to check on a FRS handi talkie, the Energizers that expire in March 2016 had leaked. Some hot water, and old tooth brush, and the contacts cleaned up okay. I shook out the excess water, and will try the HT tomorrow when it's good and dry.
On 8/14/2015 6:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, it's good and dry. I tried a couple batteries. Lit up for an instant, and went dead again. Test the batteries, one was dead. Other had some crud on the terminal. Search around and find some good clean batteries with charge. The HT works okay. I gave it some Caig Deoxit on the terminals, just to be sure.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/13/2015 3:42 PM, MNMikeW wrote:

Yesterday I stopped to offer a jump start for a fellow. Turns out that his positive battery calmp (automobile) had corroded off, due to battery acid. In this case, I'd say the problem was lead suplphate, and some copper sulphate. Real shame. Sunday about 5 PJM, in a parking lot at a shopping center. Myself and the security guy both tried jumping, and no luck. Fortunately, he had a cell phone. Hope he was able to get his adult son (talking to him on phone) to bring out a new cable. I suspect a new cable would have done the job.
--
.
Christopher A. Young