What is that devide in my water supply line?

Every dealership has big dish on the rooftop. A tech just plug in tester when s/he encounters toughie to solve alone. Central computer at HQ takes over and tell the tech what to o. You mean your local dealers don't have a dish or two on their roof top?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Whats with the citation demand? Just look around if you don't believe him. They are pretty common because they can just plop them in at the noted places (and others) and they only have to deal with one network connectivity provider at all of their locations.

Reply to
George

Sounds like your location might be pretty unique. The NEC has required supplemental grounding electrodes for quite some time.

Reply to
George

Seeing a dish doesn't mean that they use an uplink.

It seems silly putting up with a 5 second lag and twenty times the cost when a city is wired for DSL.

Any cite outside of hearsay and the fact that you've seen parabolic reflectors?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

About a year ago my city's utility office called me to say my water meter had been running for over 24 consecutive hours, and that I should look for a leak or other problem. It turned out that my toilet had been running, so slowly that I couldn't hear it. How's that for service!

Reply to
PanHandler

Hmmm, I am the one who deployed the system. Please don't try to argue with me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Basic question. The OP mentions that there is another shut off valve in the incoming service not pictured.

If so why not shut off the water; remove the 'guts' of the valve on the left (which looks like a standard multi turn shut-off of 20+ year vintage; and take it along to a hardware/building supply store and buy an exact replacement 'cartridge'. Probably around $5? There are several shut offs wthin this house (now 38 years old) that need similar replacement of their 'guts'. Here, it's mainly a matter of getting around to doing it.Thanks for the reminder; I'll put it on the list! If total replacement of the valve on the left IS necessary strongly recommend a quarter turn ball valve.

Reply to
terry

they are there, but not for that reason.

Steve Barker

ACTUALLY they don't. Read it closer.

Steve Barker

Aaron Fude wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f11g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

If you look outside around your house you may find a small box with an "odometer" attached someplace. That's what's at the other end of the curly wire for reading the meter externally.

Reply to
Red Green

For two reasons. Because the other valve is downstream and because they both don't shut of completely.

Reply to
Aaron Fude

The NEC specifically requires a supplemental grounding electrode. There is no other part of the code that waives that requirement.

Section 250.53(D)3) is clear, concise, specific and without ambiguity in this phrase:

"...a metal underground water pipe is required to be supplemented by an additional electrode of the type specified in 250.52(A)2)..."

Reply to
George

There should then be a "curb box" or "street shut off" that can be turned off. You might need a special wrench to get at it. Where I am, the bolt has a pentagon head, and then you would need a "street key" to turn it off. Depending on your climate, that might be 5-8' long. Not really the kind of thing you want to buy to use once. The pentagon wrench and street key that I own cost around $50 for the pair. Your local water utility might be willing to come out and turn it off for you, then back on again once you are done repairing / replacing the valves.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake