What is that devide in my water supply line?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
This is related to the earlier post where I was asking about replacing valves on my water supply line. Here's a picture of what that area looks like:
http://freeboundaries.com/thing.jpg
I know what the #4 copper wire is for, but what the heck is that ugly devide in middle for and can I cut it out?
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron

By "devide" I meant "device" in both instances.
That is your water meter!

you talking about the meter? with the blue seal?
Aaron Fude wrote:

That big ugly thing is the water meter.

Yes, that's the device I meant.
If the water meter is on the inside, how does the water company know how much water I am using? What's the curly wire going to it? Is it in good shape or should I replace it?
it is read from the street using some sort of wireless technology. Even theones outside are done that way a lot now also.

Yes, that's the device I meant.
If the water meter is on the inside, how does the water company know how much water I am using? What's the curly wire going to it? Is it in good shape or should I replace it?
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi, They read it remotely. In our area meter reader just drive by the house to read it. I was told in the future it'll be read via sattelite. Likewise natural gas meter is done same way.

Doubtful. Sattelite uplinks are expensive.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Hi, Why not? think meter reader is cheap? It is all readsy. Just a matter of implementing the feature. Even car dealers use sattelite for engine diagostics and parts logistics. One of area drug store chain use sattelite links too.

It is the uplink that isn't cheap.
Where's your cite that car dealers and drug store chains use sattelite uplinks?
AZ Nomad wrote:

Hi, Every dealership has big dish on the rooftop. A tech just plug in tester when s/he encounters toughie to solve alone. Central computer at HQ takes over and tell the tech what to o. You mean your local dealers don't have a dish or two on their roof top?

Seeing a dish doesn't mean that they use an uplink.
It seems silly putting up with a 5 second lag and twenty times the cost when a city is wired for DSL.
Any cite outside of hearsay and the fact that you've seen parabolic reflectors?
AZ Nomad wrote:

Hmmm, I am the one who deployed the system. Please don't try to argue with me.
they are there, but not for that reason.

AZ Nomad wrote:

Whats with the citation demand? Just look around if you don't believe him. They are pretty common because they can just plop them in at the noted places (and others) and they only have to deal with one network connectivity provider at all of their locations.

About a year ago my city's utility office called me to say my water meter had been running for over 24 consecutive hours, and that I should look for a leak or other problem. It turned out that my toilet had been running, so slowly that I couldn't hear it. How's that for service!

Basic question. The OP mentions that there is another shut off valve in the incoming service not pictured.
If so why not shut off the water; remove the 'guts' of the valve on the left (which looks like a standard multi turn shut-off of 20+ year vintage; and take it along to a hardware/building supply store and buy an exact replacement 'cartridge'. Probably around $5? There are several shut offs wthin this house (now 38 years old) that need similar replacement of their 'guts'. Here, it's mainly a matter of getting around to doing it.Thanks for the reminder; I'll put it on the list! If total replacement of the valve on the left IS necessary strongly recommend a quarter turn ball valve.

For two reasons. Because the other valve is downstream and because they both don't shut of completely.

There should then be a "curb box" or "street shut off" that can be turned off. You might need a special wrench to get at it. Where I am, the bolt has a pentagon head, and then you would need a "street key" to turn it off. Depending on your climate, that might be 5-8' long. Not really the kind of thing you want to buy to use once. The pentagon wrench and street key that I own cost around $50 for the pair. Your local water utility might be willing to come out and turn it off for you, then back on again once you are done repairing / replacing the valves.
JK