What is NEC Code For This Grounding Scheme ?

Page 6 of 6
Doug Miller wrote:

As I'm sure you are aware, this has been pointed out by numerous people in numerous threads. It is incredible how someone could be so stupid to say water pipe is not required to be an electrode. The code, as you quote it, is absolutely clear.
--
bud--

You can use a single equipment grounding conductor for several circuits as long as it is sized to the biggest one. I have seen people run one #8 solid as a bus and use split bolts to pick up grounding pigtails from the various circuits along the way. The code is really pretty ambiguous about wiring methods when you are adding an EGC to a circuit that doesn't have one. As long as you are getting back to the main bonding jumper with your ground (the bus in the panel) in a solidly connected way you should be OK.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I was more concerned with the possibility of having the grounds run to to a junction box, then have a single ground come out of that and then have THAT connect to the panel. I saw someone say that the NEC for this type of retrofit implies that each ground has to make a home run?
The other thing is that someone brought up something about creating a magnetic loop (not sure if that is correct term) and implied that could be a big problem in that it would raise resistance in the grounds wires.
thanks
--
John Ross

You can run one EGC to several boxes and it can be a long bus, a star configuration or any combination. You only have to be sure the ground wire is big enough to serve the biggest circuit you are dealing with and that it is protected from physical damage.
I would not get to worried about ground loops and such in a residential equipment grounding system.. It is mostly hype anyway. We fixed most surge problems by adding more bonding, possibly creating loops and never fixed anything by getting anal with "star grounding". (based on 20 years of computer and lightning protection experience in SW Florida)
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:00:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

One way you can accopmplish this would be to run a 12-2/wg to the new dedicated computer circuit, put a J box in this circuit in the crawlspace and tap off that 12ga grounding conductor to ground any other 15 or 20a circuit you want.