What Is Elastromeric Coating

Hi,

Many posts below, I was asking advise on how to fix my leaking flat roof. All suggested that I should install "Rubber Roof" for my flat roof. But I really want to learn how to fix it.

So, I went to Home Depot, Lowes, and Osh to look for stuffs. It came to a point that I was going to use the Henry Wet Patch to patch my leaking roof all over the place with a putty knife. And then I came to the Elastromeric Coating and some other type of "coating". They all claimed to "protect old roof" and "stop leak" and stuffs like that. It looked very easy to use. Just "paint" it like a paint with a brush.

I think the post is too old and get to the bottom so no one can read it anymore. I think I will start a new follow up with a new topic. Hope this will not make any problem.

Reply to
Tom

You need to find out why the water isn't draining off your roof and fix that problem. If you do, then you've solved most of your leaking problem. If you don't, then anything OTHER than a hot sealed rubber roof will probably start leaking wherever you have standing water.

Reply to
Bob

Hi Bob,

I located the problem. I have a very big flat roof. The tiny drainage hole is not WIDE enough to let the the water out. So, a lot of water is standing around the hole.

I have some idea. First I need to make the hole wider. But this seems to be not possible. Therefore, the next logical solution is to reinforce the roof around that hole.

Reply to
Tom

And as if any other engineering problem. First understand the construction and the problem, it should not be too difficult to come up with a solution to fix the problem...

Use Google and learn a few things:

This is a huge subject. Flat roofs are done in several different materials. It is important to realize that the place that you see the leak may not be any where close to the problem in the roof. Is yours a wood framed roof with a wood deck or a steel framed roof with a steel deck? Steel decks in particular can let water travel 20 feet and more before it can find a place to drip.

[...]

I agree with Bob, but if you want to know more about this topic, make sure it isn't spellled "elastomeric".

"coating". They all claimed to "protect old roof" and "stop leak" and stuffs like that. It looked very easy to use. Just "paint" it like a paint with a brush.

mm

not WIDE enough to let the the water out.

You did this in the dark!o

not possible. Therefore, the next logical solution is to reinforce the roof around that hole.

I can't picture this and I'm not going to comment.