What happens to Ice Box Defrost Water

In my home ice box, the "defrost water" ends up in an removable evaporation pan. It doesn't have to be emptied but it does accumulate some slime and I like to wash it several times a years.
But the ice box in a rental I can "cleaning up" doesn't seem to have a removable pan.
Is it a case of my not looking hard enough or do some makers feel that it doesn't need to be cleaned?
EMWTK
John Gilmer wrote:

Maybe it's not self-defrosting. If it is, there has to be some provision.

Oh, it's definitely self-defrosting. I can even find when the defrost water drains down a hole in the back of the freezer. (I guess it heats the back (it's a side by side) of the freezer section during defrost.

Have you even seen the TV show "Monk"?
Are you related?
John Gilmer wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:17:36 -0500, "John Gilmer"

be emptied every day.

I am old enough that my parents actually used true "ice boxes." From my childhood I refer to a fridge as an ice box.
Some units, the drip pan is in the back, stuck to the top of the compressor. The warmth of the compressor helps reevaporate the water.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Thanks.
I have the ice box away from the wall for cleaning. I will take off that thick paper stuff and see if I can see anything that should be washed out.
If there is thick cardboard (atached with screws), please put it back when you're finished cleaning. The cardboard helps direct air flow. It's important to put it back.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

The rats come out at night and drink it all.