what gives here?

My wife is putting an 8' long piece of granite on the counter in our master bath.

The granite guy says we need to provide a frame for support under the edges of the granite.

To my hard old head, it seems to me the best thing would be to provide a smooth, flat bed for the granite to rest on. This would seem to be a much better support platform, as it would give support under much of the surface.

The edge frame the granite guy wants us to use seems like it would invite the granite to eventually crack where no support is.

What's the deal here?

Reply to
rb

The frame would ideally allow access from below for the installer to put shims where needed to give uniform support.

Reply to
mike

how much granite countertops have you installed in the past? how much has the 'granite guy'?

Reply to
charlie

What is steadier on a slightly uneven floor, a four legged stool or a three legged stool? That flat surface you talk about won't be.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

and why are y'all going along w/ the granite countertop FAD, anyway? In 20 years, folks are gonna look at it and go, "Yup, a late 90's/2000's remodel..."

Reply to
barbie.gee

Curious - what do you recommend that would never be "dated"?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

You have a very good pont there, but there are many 'classic' themes that always look good. What many people object to in some of the current fads (decks, granite, etc.) is that the outcome is really butt ugly like the Cadillac Escalade. Even many current house designs are simply ranch style with monster roofs supported by huge trusses with the space containing nothing of value nor utility. Impractical vaulted ceilings are the wasteful norm, but the owners save the planet by putting out a few pitiful WalMart plastic bags in the little bitty green recycle box at the curb. Pragmatism has taken a leave of absence. Go figure.

Joe

Reply to
Joe