What ever happened to the WORDS used in phone numbers?

Page 3 of 3
Our no. (in Chgo) when I was growing up was SPring4-5150. Ma and Pa (in WI) had a party line and you only needed to dial the last 5 numbers. Years ago , we had dial-up internet, our copper pair failed on 2 occasions (they woul d just assign another pair. ^L^o^L^
On 06/01/2015 01:45 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

[snip]
For awhile, I lived in an older part of a city, where old stores had their number painted on the building as ED6- (a number starting with 336, and this was called the EDison exchange).
Most phones still have letters on them, but I know someone who was trying to call the local PBS station (263-KERA) and had a phone without letters.
BTW, Here, you're supposed to dial all 10 digits for a local call. That started about 10 years ago and I still don't know anyone who's number uses the new area code.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 11:46:20 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Telephone exchange names were used with the old electromechanical telephone central office equipment like Crossbar and step-by-step relays.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange_names
Once central offices were converted to all electronic switching, those names were no longer needed. The popular names here in Olympia, Washington were FLeetwood and WHitehall.
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 12:36:25 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

+1
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 01:45:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I suspect what happened was that operator placed calls were replace by automatic dial calls. Once you automate it, it just a lot easier for the designers, manufacturers, installers and repair folks to organize all the mechanical stuff by using a straight numbering system. Obviously you can convert your number back to letters if you want to. Lots of people do convert part of it at least for their 1 - 800 numbers, like 1-800-328-7667 converts to 1-800-Eat-Poop . When I was working for the AZ DOT I requested that my cell number end with 2368.