What does the water company charge you for?

Page 3 of 6

terry wrote:

I have lived in several North American cities. Some used thousands of gallons and others used hundreds of cubit feet.

And in CUBIC METERS

But that is 1000 liters, or 1000 kilograms funny how that metric system simplifies things huh?
Nah we like gallons, yards and pounds.

Ok, take 6 gallons of Pepsi, add 3 yards of Bacardi and drop in 2 pounds of limes
and you get the worlds biggest Cuba Libre
Rudy wrote:

Around here Acre Foot is quite common (about 326,000 gallons, 1233 cubic meters). That also happens to be a approximate amount that a family of 4 uses in a year.
That's 27,000+ gallons a month. My house never used a tenth of that with 5 in it.
--
Steve Barker

"Rich256" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

Sounds a little high to me, too. I think our highest one month usage was 23,000 gallons, which included a lot of irrigation. Usage between irrigation seasons is normally around 4000 gallons. To be fair, usage varies greatly throughout the nation.

I agree that an acre-foot seems hig for annual use for 4 people, but a tenth of that for 5 comes to about 20 gallons a day per person. Good for you and your family if yo achieve that, but average residential use is closer to 100 gallons per person.
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

"L" < snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net says...

Baloney. What water utility measures *residential* water usage in acre- feet?? Agricultural or industrial, perhaps. But residential? No way.

Baloney again. Do the math.
No, wait, here, I'll do it for you, since you're obviously "challenged" in that area.
1 a-f = 326000 gallons (you did get that part right -- but that's all) 326000 gallons in a year = 892 gallons PER DAY Now divide by 4 people...
223 gallons PER PERSON PER DAY.
Baloney.
says...

says...

Here in Las Vegas (desert climate) per capita usage is commonly stated to be 300 gallons per person per day. That is a water utility planning figure and includes commercial usage and rather heavy residential irrigation usage. In most areas of the country, 100 gpd is more common as I recall.
My in-house use measured at the water softener is about 100 gpd for two people. In the summer my total usage goes up to 2500 gallons per day including the water used to irrigate a large yard.
SJF
Some of these numbers have me scratching my head. Between September 23rd and January 2nd, our two-person household averaged 137 litres per day; that's 18.2 gallons per person, per day.
We both shower every day, we do an average of two to three loads of laundry each week, we run the dishwasher once every four to five days and we flush toilets after use. Nothing, I assume, too far out of the ordinary.
I realize our consumption falls below most households and twice the water commission has sent someone out to verify that our meter is working correctly (no problems found). Still, we would need to increase our consumption six fold just to bring it up to what is said to be the national average, and the only way we could do that would be to leave both kitchen taps running.
Cheers, Paul
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 05:57:35 GMT, Paul M. Eldridge

If you're the kind of person who basks in the shower, you can easily run through 30 gallons of water right there.

It's the desert. Why irrigate a large yard? Plant sand and rocks.
Why irrigate a yard ANYwhere?
--
Steve Barker

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:17:19 -0600, "Steve Barker"

Environmental cooling. A lawn with non-dormant grass can easily be 10 degrees cooler than the same surface baked into straw-covered tile. IF water is cheap enough, this is a reasonable response to a heat wave.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. so you're going to lower the temperature in the area by wasting water on a lawn. What a gass!
--
Steve Barker

"Goedjn" < snipped-for-privacy@mail.uri.edu> wrote in message

You may think it's a "gass", but it is an effect in a large enough urban area. Look up "microclimate".

Las Vegas has been changing (getting more humid) due to all the water spread around in the desert by people that want to bring lawns with them. Just because you CAN do something does not mean it is a good idea.