What does the water company charge you for?

That's not far of for water-district budgeting purposes... For instance:

"...Similarly, while Austin's average gallons per capita per day is

180, the dry year gallons per capita per day used for determining future demand is 221 (occurring in 1984). ..."

But that's total water use for everything, not household water use. Whats the design value for septic systems,

120 gallons/bedroom/day, or 60 gallons/person?
Reply to
Goedjn

If you're the kind of person who basks in the shower, you can easily run through 30 gallons of water right there.

Reply to
Goedjn

Environmental cooling. A lawn with non-dormant grass can easily be 10 degrees cooler than the same surface baked into straw-covered tile. IF water is cheap enough, this is a reasonable response to a heat wave.

Reply to
Goedjn

The Colorado river is supposed to flow into Mexico but they are always complaining that we used all the water before they got any. It is a dry riverbed for much of the year. The next place to dry up will be the Imperial Valley in California, if they don't curtail use of the water up stream..

Reply to
gfretwell

st areas of the country, 100 gpd is more common as I recall.

which is why all residential irrigation ought to be outlawed. Which it is getting pretty close to in LV I understand. Stupid ass waste of drinking water. SHHH, don't tell my wife...

Reply to
yourname

Not just residential irrigation, either. On a business trip to Phoenix some ten or twelve years ago, I was appalled to see from the air all the swimming pools, lush lawns, and heavily irrigated golf courses. Once on the ground and headed to my meetings, what do I see in the plaza at the Phoenix civic center, but this fountain:

There might be a few fountains in the world that are more efficient at evaporating water than that one, but not many, I'll wager. Especially in that climate.

Then, about my third day there, the local paper had a big article about a new business that was coming to the area just north of Phoenix -- all excited about the several hundred jobs it would provide. The business? A fish farm.

These people just don't understand that they're living in a desert.

Helloooo! Reality check time! Deserts aren't supposed to be green and wet. If you want swimming pools, and green lawns and golf courses, then move to some place that has plenty of water.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. so you're going to lower the temperature in the area by wasting water on a lawn. What a gass!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Ya, like friggin New Orleans! HAR HAR!

Reply to
Steve Barker

It's my understanding (I live 2k mi. from AZ) that Phoenix gets their water from underground, not the Rio Grande and has plenty more where that came form.

Reply to
krw

And they are required by law to use renewable water resources. Not just dump their waste into the river and let the next city downstream take care of it.

Reply to
Rich256

Didn't see anyone talking abut waste in this thread...

Reply to
krw

So? What should be done with the water? Let it flow into the ocean?

It isn't being used up. If you are depriving someone downstream of drinking water that is something else. But if you can recycle and use it for your pleasure I really can't see anything wrong with that.

Not like burning up several gallons of gasoline to drive to a beach.

Los Angeles brings water hundreds of miles and when it has been cleaned up it dumps it into the ocean. Same with most sea side cities. That seems to me to be a waste.

Reply to
Rich256

Municipal water is pumped and treated, and that consumes a significant amount electricity as well as other resources.

Since you speak of LA, according to a report prepared for the California Energy Commission, in southern California, an average of

1.3 kWh of electricity is used to process each 100 gallons of water consumed. If we use the 100 gallons per person, per day, average rate of consumption others have mentioned here, the supply of water to a four-person household would require just a little over 1,900 kWh/year.

Looking at the full picture, in 2001, total water-related energy use in the state of California came to 48,013 GWh -- that's 19.2 per cent of the state's total energy use of 250,494 GWh. I think you will agree, the numbers are not exactly trivial.

Source:

So? What should be done with the water? Let it flow into the ocean? >

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Your understanding is incorrect.

I'd be astonished if Phoenix gets any water at all from the Rio Grande, since:

a) the city has an extensive system of canals and aqueducts from the Verde, Salt, and Gila Rivers, all of which are _right_there_, and

b) the Rio Grande is nearly five hundred miles to the east.

And, no, there's not "plenty more". What part of "in the desert" do you have such a hard time understanding?

Reply to
Doug Miller

The last I remember is that all that processed water is dumped in the ocean. Naturally don't want to dump raw sewage but I would think it could be recycled. There was a big plant along the beach between Redondo and Culver City. (I used to drive that way to work a few hundred years ago). They may well be doing some recycling now.

I often thought they should pump it out on the desert.

A town in the desert to the south east was reclaiming all their water. After being cleaned it flowed through a series of about 5 lakes. By the time it got to the last one it was ready for drinking again.

Reply to
Rich256

You may think it's a "gass", but it is an effect in a large enough urban area. Look up "microclimate".

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Las Vegas has been changing (getting more humid) due to all the water spread around in the desert by people that want to bring lawns with them. Just because you CAN do something does not mean it is a good idea.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's kind of the point. The fountain helps cool the plaza, which would otherwise be even more of a giant stone solar oven. This is classical roman technology, here.

As long as it's a recirculating system, I don't see the problem.

Reply to
Goedjn

A simple non moving pool of water will lose a quarter inch per day in evaporation. Move it around like the one Doug showed and I'd be willing to bet that fountain is going through AT LEAST a hundred gallons a day in that area.

Reply to
Steve Barker

How about let it evaporate (we *were* talking about irrigation of lawns, golf courses and swimming pools).

Downstream? Try reading for comprehension.

Not like?

Who is talking about LA? Sheesh, did you read _anything_ in this threadlet?

Reply to
krw