What do I look for in a high efficiency toilet??

Page 3 of 3
Richard J Kinch ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com) writes:

I have to second this. We have this model and are happy with it. Another low flow we have regularly clogs. Two or 3 people we know have also purchased this model upon our recommendatuions and are also happy.
Jonathan

I'd looked for one that would wipe your *ss when you are done.
Now THAT'S efficiency!!!
Look for a glazed trap, and an oversized trap. I have a toto which works very well, but is pricey. My son had to replace one of his and got an American Standard Cadet, which cost far less and appears to work just as well. I went with him to Lowe's to buy it, and noticed that the packaging and labels at the store don't give the information you need (size of trap, etc.), so you have to get that elsewhere.
Al Kondo wrote:

there.
Forget high efficiency toilets and get happy with your old toilet. It flushes better than any high efficiency one you are likely to put in its place and is potentially more efficient as well.
Just cut the rubber bubble beneath your new non-leaking flapper enough to cause a siphon for urine uses and hold it longer for bowel movements. (the bubble float-holds the flap up until the tank nearly empties.) If you accidently cut the bubble too much - as in removing it alltogether - just hold it longer, enough to start the siphon flush necessary to carry off urine.

Al Kondo wrote:

Hmmm. At a difference of 2.4 gallons per flush and $3/1000 gallons, you'll save about seven-tenths of a cent per flush. The cheap toilet, $75, should pay for itself in a little over 10,000 flushes. Assuming 3 flushes per day per person, that's 9 person/years.
A family of 3 could save enough water to pay for the new toilet in but three years - for the cheap toilet. For the more expensive toilet, twelve years. Less, of course, the opportunity cost of investing the $75 - $300 in the stock market. The actual difference could be millions.