What do I look for in a high efficiency toilet??

Page 2 of 3
Michael Daly wrote:

You say they have low volume toilets but walk 5km for water????
PIPES, dear friends, will move water from here to there.

It's not so bad. CA has many solar desalinization plants. I'm familiar with the ones around San Francisco Bay. They've been in use for 30 years and work quite well.

You don't have to control people. Just build pipes and aqueducts. Even the ancient Romans knew that.

You embarrass yourself.

Where on Earth did I say anything about them having toilets?

And _you_ will pay for it, right?

Desalination is one of, if not the, most expensive way to get fresh water. Maybe you should actually learn something about water treatment and the associated costs before blathering on.
Mike
CA's got solar desal plants?? Please show your sources! Tom Work at your leisure!
I mean commercially viable stuff...The kind of thing the greater L.A. area can use. Tom Work at your leisure!
message news:s%qXc.315054

Where I live, combined charges for water and sewage, which is based on water usage, add up to $.77 per 100 gallons.
Bob
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
<snip>

<snip>
I agree. But many of the newer toilets actually work like they should. My last apartment had a toilet that has a styrofoam float attached to the flapper. Somehow, this made it so that when you flushed, the flapper would shut when only have the tank had drained.
If you wanted more of a flush, you would hold down the handle for the whole flush (not refill) cycle. This kept the flapper from shutting so early. I think this is a great setup, depending on which number you do, you can decide on the water saving feature, or a full flush.
The biggest problem I find with clogs is toilet paper. Some brands clog more than others. --Mike

the
the
this
I agree. Hang on to that old toilet as they are not available anymore and you can't go back to one when you find how much trouble the new ones are. To address excess water use just use less water for urine by carefully partially flushing manually or get one of those two stage flushers.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:01:41 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Flushing three times with a new toilet is a myth. I had one before I moved and wish I had one now. The old (13 years) water waster I have now is a very lazy flusher and often has to be flushed twice. The Kohler Wellworth that I had in my previous house never had to be flushed more than once. I had it for only two years before moving, but am sure it paid for itself in savings on water usage. Here it isn't an issue as I don't pay by usage, but I am considering replacing the old one just to get something that flushes properly.

Very wrong.

The problem is that some folks have difficulty with a poorly made product and then claim that _all_ of them are no good. There are poor quality old style toilets too, but those are conveniently ignored for the discussion.
When I was in Finland a couple of years ago, I found they used dual flush 2/4 liter toilets that worked very well. In North America, folks whine about 6l flush toilets. There are some excellent 6l flush toilets on the market here - you just have to shop wisely.
Mike

gal model.

things.
Kohler (Wellworth) Highline "Comfort height" toilet. About 2" higher than a standard toilet. Had 3 in the last house and 3 more in this new one. $ 150.00 @ Lowes or HD
I put one in for my mother, she is very pleased. Especially with the increased height. But put in a good flapper as you install it. Hers is only about 4 months installed, already 'flushing itself'.

1.5
these
have??
HD

I put "one in" for your mother, too. She was VERY pleased!!!!
Yeah, she mentioned that. Also asked for me to remind you that you left some "Depends" in the kitchen where you laid them down. She realizes you have a memory problem, too. So she told me to tell you that you had a good time.
wrote

It occurs to me to wonder whether some people are trying to use low-flush tanks with older bowls. I can see that that could be a problem if the older ones relied on brute force (i.e., sheer volume of water) rather than smarter design and full glazing.
MB
On 08/26/04 11:01 am Mortimer Schnerd, RN put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Go to www.consumerreports.com and pay the 7 or 8 bucks for a month of membership. That allows you to read and print their product tests. For toilets, they made artificial turds out of sponges and whatever else, and actually flushed these things. Interesting and worthwhile report.

Al Kondo wrote:

i had to replace an older toilet as the kids broke the tank.... the new 1.6 gallon toilet does not save water as you have to flush it about 3 to 4 times to do the same job as the older toilets.. keep the old toilet as long as it is still working and can be used....
No. For us it was the old high-volume toilets we often had to flush more than once (with a suitable interval between) because the crap clogged the trap the first time round. (But I suppose it's possible that there were good and not-so-good high-volume ones.)
Have never had to flush our AS Champions more than once.
MB
On 08/26/04 03:06 pm snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:27:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org (Al Kondo) wrote:

Others have replied, and all I want to tell you is that I have been delighted with the American Standard Cadet round bowl Ravenna toilet I bought at HD for $99: it removes *ALL* of our waste the *first* time we deposit it and then flush, no smears. Now, I don't know how our waste compares with others, but we've been happy with this toilet. Interestingly, using the other toilet on the same floor (3.5 gallon 1965 Eljer) has been a reminder of how efficient this new one is at removing the deposits with less than half the water. You can't go wrong with this American Standard model unless you are the type of person to only crap once a week, in which case, buy a Toto or a Gerber. Good luck.
Al Kondo writes:

You look for a Kohler Wellworth. End of story.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Agreed. I have two of them. They work well inspite of being only 1.2 gpf as required by the People Republic of Mass.