What are these things I bought at an auction?

Page 1 of 2
At an auction tonight the auctioneer was about to no-bid a large lot of crap, so I offered $1 figuring there had to be something in there worth $1. Immediately 2 people offered me $3 for stuff I would have left behind otherwise; so I actually paid -$2. I can't imagine why they didn't bid, except maybe they didn't want it all.
Included was about 150' of hardwood dowels in various sizes that I will use eventually, 5 rolls of screening I need to repair all my cottage screens, a 50' rubber air hose, and a plastic barrel that I was planning on buying for a swim platform (well that is a mixed blessing; now I have to buy 3 more for about $15 each). Also a few other things that I will hold to because they are too nice to throw out; like 100' of heavy rope, a new wax toilet seal, and hardware for bifold doors. Not bad for -$2.
But also included were two other items, and I hope someone can tell me what these are:
A 6 piece Lenox Vari-Bit kit. I know they are for drilling holes in sheet metal (at least I think that is what they are for) but why 6 pieces that are all more or less the same size?
20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by itself, but what is it used for?
toller wrote: ....

That I don't know...

Its name just <might> be a klew???

sheet
are
itself,
Makes for a nice set of jumper cables.
--
SVL

Snip

Jumper cables for next winter?
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:21:30 +0000, toller wrote:

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search. You might figure it out without looking foolish.

What the fuck would you *think* welding cables are used for? You're a real winner, aren't ya?
Linux Registered User #327951

I did, and it doesn't. I only look foolish to a fool.

Damn you are an asshole. Obviously they are used for welding, but what makes them different from any other electrical cable? If you don't know the answer than shut the hell up. And if you do know the answer, then give it instead of being a jerk.

in
pieces that

You
by
You're a

what
know the

give it

They're a lot more flexible-much finer wire than a #2 conductor used in electrical wiring...

All welding cables I have seen have been made up of fine strands of copper. I don't believe I have ever seen one like them wired in a building. I think it would be so they are pliable, and easy to bend.
I once bought two PALLETS of welding cable at a government auction at the Nevada Test Site. My pickup was groaning and farting by the time I got back to Vegas.
I made a little more than gas money on that deal. ;-)
Steve
wrote

copper.
think
Very common to see it used inside of machinery panels, etc. and for the exact reason being that its much easier to get tight bends thus making it easier to terminate within confined spaces.
Guessing that wire designation would be "type S" or "type SO".
--
SVL

Can they be used as a #2 cable, in the unlikely instance I ever need one? Thanks.
If they don't carry the right markings then they would not be code-compliant for household wiring. I would *assume* that with the right terminations they would make a fine set of jumper cables, but there may be caveats that I'm not thinking of. Actually, I am thinking of one: the insulation is probably not weather-rated and probably not flexible in the cold, so you might be risking it cracking and exposing the conductor when you boost your car next January.
I would also expect jumper-cable clamps to cost more than pre-assembled cables in a carrying case. That's what I always find when I try to make something out of what I already have.
Chip C
Chip C wrote:

Most welding cable is quite nice, actually. I suppose there is cheap Chinese crap available these days, too, but normally it is very good stuff.

The only problem with welding cable is that it's not designed to take 650A+ at 12VDC. The hair thin copper wire is designed for high welding loads, but believe it or not, starting a car draws higher current.
I suppose for a quick jump, it may not be an issue. I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis (as some hot-rodders do) to relocate a battery for weight distribution.

I actually think it would do very well as jumper cables. I once made some out of #6 building wire, and they did a fine job, except they were so damn stiff to handle. Commercial jumper cables have fine stranded wire. However, I would NOT use welding cable to wire a home. While electrically it would probably work just fine, it would likely fail the codes.
says...

toller == TROLLER ???
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:27:57 +0000, toller wrote:

Then you're even more ignorant than it appears. That search produces all the info you could ever want on that.

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dipshit. You asked "what is it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born this stupid?
Linux Registered User #327951

He may have been borne stupid but you sure seem to have grown into quite the asshole.

What was it in your case? Were you born stupid, or did you just practice a lot?
Steve
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:17:31 -0400, "wkearney99"

WOW, there are a lot of assholes in this world !!! But just think how painful it would be if you did not have at least one asshole.

The guy was asking a question. If he wasn't ignorant, he wouldn't need to ask.
On the other hand, you appear ten times as ignorant, because instead of answering his simple questions, you blasted him.

Perhaps if you were just a bit smarter, you could look past exact wording, which is fine in contracts but doesn't always happen in Usenet, and decide that he would like to know what ELSE they could be used for, or why they are different. Your thoughtless knee-jerk reaction shows you go to newsgroups just to slam people who's only crime is asking questions. You might want to try surfing porn sites instead. It would be far less pathetic.
Pagan