What are the ways to remove a stump?

Hire a backhoe to dig them out and either put them on a truck, or bury them in place.

I second the come-a-long method. I have an old automotive chain hoist I use as a come-a-long. It will move a house.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

with it, so that the

local outlet." However,

have heard that

with the aid of a

Increase the speed of rotting by drilling several holes in the stump and keep the holes filled with potassium nitrate. You can use 34-0-0 granular fertilizer, less expensive. A 1" spade bit and corded drill works well.

Reply to
Phisherman

Cedar, white oak, teak, cypress are very rot resistant. For these you will need a stump puller, chain, physical labor.

Reply to
Phisherman

cut off just below ground level, and cover with dirt. problem solved

at some point rot will cause the area to sink, so add some dirt.

people make some things so complicated:(

Reply to
hallerb

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Dig around the stump and then cut it out. The laziest way I've seen is to find a good spot to dig between roots and then take your garden hose and wash the dirt around the stump into the hole you just dug. Repeat until stump is clean of dirt and then use the sawsall or chain saw.

Reply to
HotRdd

Burn and rob. We don't know if he's in Los Angeles ghetto.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dirt and stones dull a chainsaw almost instantly. I know. Sawzall is much better, but buy a lot of blades. The one stump I took out, burning wasn't an option. Cause I'm too close to the neighbors. I dug, sawzalled, and finally used a come along tool to the bumper of my van. Even so, it was a LOT of work.

I've heard that drilling it full of holes, and then pack the holes with powdered milk helps. Does it? Never tried.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or Watts; specifically!

-- Oren

Oren

JUst pour liquor into the stump and let the beavers chew their way to it.

Sounds good to me.

Reply to
mm

grass with it, so that the

local outlet." However,

I have heard that

with the aid of a

Drill holes and DON'T burn.. It will rot...

If you try to burn and it doesn't all burn up.. you have just preserved it. My dad tried to burn stumps in our yard as a kid.. Didn't work.. I've had some pine trees removed from my yard. I put lawn fertilizer on them and kept damp first few months..Caused mold, fungi to grow. Now in the rotted areas I put bird feed mixture and let the birds and squirrels dig into them.. Two and a half years and I could dig them out with a pocket knife now if I so desired.. But I prefer to use them as bird feeders..

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

Ditto! I drilled holes, used the stump remover crap as directed for 2 years and it didn't phase it. Then tried the kerosene & match route - still didn't do much. Ended up digging the thing out. Hiring someone to grind the stumps is well worth the price.

KC

Reply to
KC

Maybe I can actually get the remaining roots that still touch the ground that are directly below the stump with the water. If so, I can bypass much more chainsawing the stump and do more of the roots.

I am tired of this project and very close to hiring a stump grinder guy. The reason is that I found out that the local rental shop charges $70 with tax for a grinder for 3 hours. A stump grinder guy, may actually be the same price as renting the machine myself.

You guys great great suggestions.

My favorite was having a truck pull it for me. Too bad, my brother does not want to use his truck. He thinks he'll break it. So the easy way out and "free" did not work for me.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

NOTE: My web home page:

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC