What are the ways to remove a stump?

Page 2 of 2

If you wanted to remove it by hand, you should leave the trunk as high as possible to give you leverage.

That seems to be easy as you could jack it up now with hydraulic jack(s).

Chemicals never works for me, perhaps others have better luck. The problem with grinder is there is a lot of chips thrown all around the stump area so its ease to miss a few major roots. This happen to me when I had it done by a professional and then I had to pull out the remaining roots by hand.
Its amazing how much pulling force requires to pull out a little tree - it may take well over 50 tons. So dig, dig and then dig some more. I had my 2 ton hoist attached to a little 1 inch root. Broke the damn hoist, spend the next day welding it back. I had couple of come along pullers failed with the chain snapped back at me. Pretty exciting and lucky part of my face didn't go with it. I must admit pulling stumps by hand offers the best workout other than pouring concrete.
I would not go after the roots with a chain saw, as soon as you hit dirt you need to regrind the chain.

Add pictures here
✖
Dirt and stones dull a chainsaw almost instantly. I know. Sawzall is much better, but buy a lot of blades. The one stump I took out, burning wasn't an option. Cause I'm too close to the neighbors. I dug, sawzalled, and finally used a come along tool to the bumper of my van. Even so, it was a LOT of work.
I've heard that drilling it full of holes, and then pack the holes with powdered milk helps. Does it? Never tried.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I remove stumps routinely on my place. My latest method is to dig the thing up and remove it to the edge of the clearing later adding it to a bonfire. I use a Bobcat skidsteer with a digging attachment. Downside: A large crater is left where the stump was. Digging combined with yanking is often suggested.
Grinding the stump is the standard solution. Most chemical solutions have the reputation of being either very slow or not working at all.
Add pictures here
✖

the guy who ground mine said to drill holes in the stump and pour buttermilk in them. don't know if it works.
Add pictures here
✖
http://www.walterreeves.com/how_to/article.phtml?cat &&id…6
Add pictures here
✖
I burnt mine out, had two stumps, one was at least 2 foot high and that far across, the other only slightly smaller, took two days of burning, but they are gone and the ground is level.
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:

--
Kaye

✖
i burn then with firewood , get good coals going then put the large wood on the stump to smolder. if you want to try charcoal ,i bet it would work too. it took me 2-3 days to burn 4 foot stump below ground . i take a shovel and break out the burnt coals on the stump often during the processs. of course a stump grinder is fastest way. lucas
✖

in place.
✖
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:07:57 GMT, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"

Increase the speed of rotting by drilling several holes in the stump and keep the holes filled with potassium nitrate. You can use 34-0-0 granular fertilizer, less expensive. A 1" spade bit and corded drill works well.
Add pictures here
✖
Cedar, white oak, teak, cypress are very rot resistant. For these you will need a stump puller, chain, physical labor.
Add pictures here
✖

cut off just below ground level, and cover with dirt. problem solved
at some point rot will cause the area to sink, so add some dirt.
people make some things so complicated:(
Add pictures here
✖
Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Dig around the stump and then cut it out. The laziest way I've seen is to find a good spot to dig between roots and then take your garden hose and wash the dirt around the stump into the hole you just dug. Repeat until stump is clean of dirt and then use the sawsall or chain saw.

Add pictures here
✖

2 of the stumps are maybe 2 feet apart. They were part of the same tree that grewup together. I started to clean away around the area between them, and also underneath. Thinking about it, the water idea, may work. After removing much of the grass (now all I have left is actual wood, I think I will wash the stump with water and try one more time, to get it from the roots. My logic is that the back of the stumps are not almost all exposed because the 2 trees actually uplifted the surrounding area.
Maybe I can actually get the remaining roots that still touch the ground that are directly below the stump with the water. If so, I can bypass much more chainsawing the stump and do more of the roots.
I am tired of this project and very close to hiring a stump grinder guy. The reason is that I found out that the local rental shop charges $70 with tax for a grinder for 3 hours. A stump grinder guy, may actually be the same price as renting the machine myself.
You guys great great suggestions.
My favorite was having a truck pull it for me. Too bad, my brother does not want to use his truck. He thinks he'll break it. So the easy way out and "free" did not work for me.
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP
NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net
NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net
Add pictures here
✖