What are the ways to remove a stump?

Page 1 of 2

I have 3 tree stumps. One is about a 1 foot in length and level with the ground.
The other 2 stumps fell from trees that actually lifted the surroundiing grass with it, so that the stumps are on an angle with the grass surrounding them pulled up.
I want to remove all 3 stumps. I gather I can rent a "stump grinder from the local outlet." However, is there some kind of "chemical treatment" that is cheap to get rid ot these. I have heard that stump grinders are dangerous. I can get someone to do it, but as I am feeling "handy", I would like to save some money and remove them myself.
BTW, all of the actual trees were removed by myself with much time and energy with the aid of a chain saw and many sore muscles.
Thanks in advance,
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP
NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net
NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net
In a similar situation I dug as much as I could around the stumps. Fastened a chain to the stump and my Pickup truck and pulled them out with no problem. Depends on what kind of tree and how deep the roots are.
Good luck..
Steve

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:

Drill numerous holes.
Soak in Kerosene.
Burn.
Rob

I would not advise this. Being a Vol. Fire fighter..........a root fire can occur..........a root could smolder for days or even weeks and sprout a brush fire somewhere down yonder.
Other than the stump grinder; You could always take your aggressions out on it with an axe and shovel. I wish your muscles happier days ahead :-)
Dean

Growing up; it was said to drill the holes and pour Diesel and leave it soak or later set ablaze. Usually a large Oak stump.
As a kid with the family camping we loved to collect Loblolly pine for camp fires. Stumps were harvested, loaded on trains and later processed for turpentine. Not sure about today. A good hot heat on a camp fire. The sap would snap and pop, might even get a spark on you.
A stump will burn for days in the ground as it essentially has a deep center tap root full of sap. -- Oren
avid_hiker wrote:

Flatlanders... :)
Rob
Burn and rob. We don't know if he's in Los Angeles ghetto.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Drill holes and DON'T burn.. It will rot...
If you try to burn and it doesn't all burn up.. you have just preserved it. My dad tried to burn stumps in our yard as a kid.. Didn't work.. I've had some pine trees removed from my yard. I put lawn fertilizer on them and kept damp first few months..Caused mold, fungi to grow. Now in the rotted areas I put bird feed mixture and let the birds and squirrels dig into them.. Two and a half years and I could dig them out with a pocket knife now if I so desired.. But I prefer to use them as bird feeders..
On Apr 19, 1:07 pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"

I presume "length" here means "diameter" as if is level w/ ground don't know from what point one would measure a linear distance?

If cheap is what you're after, cheapest is time and the pileated woodpeckers (see other thread of last several days)... :)
As someone else noted, with no indication of what variety of tree these might be or how large 2 out of the 3 are, how much effort to simply uproot them and haul them off is undeterminable. If the objective were that, having left a sizable section above ground would have been good for leverage and grip, but gathering that's not the case, suggest simply digging around them a little and finding out how much root structure there is first.
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC writes:

The chemical sold as stump remover is potassium nitrate. You're supposed to bore many deep holes, a huge chore in itself, and pack this in. Supposedly this either (1) fertilizes fungal growth in the wood, causing "rapid" (a few years instead of a lifetime) decay to pith, or (2) eventually permeates the wood with oxidizer such that it will smoulder into ash if you ignite it, like an incense punk. Neither method sounds like it would really remove anything but parts of the stump, and likely not some parts you really wanted gone. Nor have I tried it, or despite following this idea for a long time, have I heard of anyone succeeding at it. I guess if you're going to leave the stump sitting there in any case, its worth a go.
You should be able to hire a stump-grinding service for $100 to $200. You may find that doing it yourself with a rental unit is more than you bargained for.

It doesn't work even after many applications and after many months or maybe a year or two. Ended up pulling it out myself.
** Frank ** wrote:

Ditto! I drilled holes, used the stump remover crap as directed for 2 years and it didn't phase it. Then tried the kerosene & match route - still didn't do much. Ended up digging the thing out. Hiring someone to grind the stumps is well worth the price.
KC
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:34:39 -0500, Richard J Kinch

Start an argument with some guys about how hard it is, and bet them $50 that they can't get the stumps out in less than 2 days.
1) Stump Grinder
2) Dig around and pull out with a tractor or truck
3) Dynamite! (personal favorite)
4) Home Depot does sell some sort of liquid you pour into it and it mushes up the wood over time.
5) Cover up with dirt and nature will do its job over time.
Tom
On Apr 19, 2:07 pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"

On 19 Apr 2007 11:38:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

JUst pour liquor into the stump and let the beavers chew their way to it.

Sounds good to me.

I've had good luck on several stumps by digging under them to expose an upside down "saddle" under the structural center of the stump. I then slip a chunk of 3/4" plywood under it and roll my floor jack down between the ply and the stump. I then jack it up, which pulls out, and finally breaks the smaller roots. After it's mostly loose, I can then pull it the rest of the way out with my come-along.
Bob

I second the come-a-long method. I have an old automotive chain hoist I use as a come-a-long. It will move a house.
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:

Ten dollars worth of dynamite. And before you reject this out of hand, look in the yellow pages under "Explosives." Make a couple of calls.
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:07:57 GMT, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"

Get some day laborers and make sure one can multi-task as an interpreter... -- Oren