Well water & manganese

I have the standard sulphur smelling well water and black sludge in my pipes. Here is what test results I have so far.

Hardness 419 mg/l iron .9 mg/l sulfate 47 mg/l manganese 419 mg/l No sulphur reducing bacteria detected

My softener gets the hardness out and almost all of the iron. I'd like to put whatever I need to make the water better before the softener so it doesn't have to remove as much iron and so it gets backwashed with iron free water. I have a 4" well (around 140'), submersible pump(don't know the specs).

1) What is the best thing to get to clean up the iron and manganese 2) How do I clean the black sludge out of my supply pipes (3/4 copper) 3) Would I be able to install a sprinkler system tapping in after the new filter unit (or whatever is needed) but before the softener. It would mostly be for landscaping around the house, not the lawn unless it is possible.

Thanks in advance for all possible advise.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave

No one has replied to my questions yet so it probably doesn't matter but I believe that the maganese was .18 mg/l. I'm still trying to locate the test report.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Dave

A properly siized (SFR and salt dose/capacity) and correctly set up softener should be all you need.

Reply to
Gary Slusser