well pump/relay setup

I know we discuss it here very often.. but now I need a refresher.. Working on a well system for a submersible pump. Had a bad gauge on it and was at times not wanting to cut off at high pressure...
I replaced the gauge, and cut in / out switch. and pre loaded air charge in bladder tank.. per tank instructions ie: "with no pressure or water in bottom of tank, air pressure in bladder should be 2 lbs less than cut in pressure of switch" The switch is in at 40, cut out at 60..
Shouldn't this switch /relay be closed when it's sitting on the shelf.. it being less than 40 psi?
I want to think I've got a bad switch.. it's a Lowes made in china.. Won't be going back there (the old home place) till Sunday.. Any ideas are appreciated..
Chuck (in SC)
Chuck (in SC) wrote:

Well, if it's truly a switch AND relay, the switch WILL be closed, but the relay WON'T since it needs voltage to energize its coil (Said voltage being controlled by the switch.) and there's no voltage supplied to it when it's "on the shelf".
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Chuck (in SC) wrote:

Sounds like it should be. Are you sure that you have the correct terminals (there may be both NO and NC terminals). The ones that am am familiar with have a cover that you can take off and see the contacts.

nope.. single throw..

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:10:35 -0400, "Chuck (in SC)" <> wrote:

Some of these also have a low pressure cut-out to prevent the pump running dry. Is there a lever on the side of the switch housing? If so, you have to use the lever to mechanically actuate the contacts long enough to build up the minimum pressure before the automatic action will take over. Once the pressure builds over 5 PSI or so, you release the lever and the switch will work as you would expect.
HTH,
Paul
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 06:26:35 -0400, Paul Franklin

It's been years since I had helped my dad work on this system.. and I remember that this may be the issue.. the 5 psi,, cocks the relay you might say... Also.. the Square D brand relay (that I replaced) had two adjustments, one for low and one for high setting.. the new one.. has just one adjustment for cut in, and cut out is estimated to be 20 lbs higher than that.... Thanks for info.. Still have 20 hours before I have to head back there to do more work.. and hope to get it working right..
Chuck (in SC)
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:10:35 -0400, "Chuck (in SC)" <> wrote:

Not necessarily. It could be designed to be open or closed with power off. As soon as power is applied, then it should be closed.

involved... Chuck (in SC)