Welding is very dangerous

Page 2 of 3

On 9/15/2008 2:31 PM Gunner Asch spake thus:

Look: not even Antonin Scalia agrees with you. Saw him interviewed on TV last night. As strong an abortion opponent as he is, he stated plainly that he thinks Constitutional guarantees to protection extend only to what he called "walking-around" people, not unborn fetuses.
βœ–
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:23:55 -0700, David Nebenzahl

The problem is..is that the sole difference between what you call a fetus and a baby is its location. By your defintion..its a fetus inside the womb, and 20 seconds later, its a baby after exiting the womb.
Your ilk really need to come up with a better definition of fetus. Try one based on viability outside the womb.
A fetus in my world, is a polywog that hasnt developed human charectoristics yet. The moment it is fully formed, it becomes a baby, no matter if its in the womb or not.
I should note, that Im Pro Choice. And I carry it further than you do. If you are allowed to murder your baby before its born, I believe you should be able to murder it after its born. All the way up to the age of Majority, where it becomes an independant entity, rather than a parasitic tissue mass.
And if it moves back into your basement, its fair game again as it reverts to being a parasitic tissue mass. Like many posters here in fact.
Gunner
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Add pictures here
βœ–
I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch

    Egad, how progressive of you! Not like when I was a boy!

    Oh, wait, I see. A bit of moderation. Glad to see you hadn't abandoned all that had kept the Roman Empire strong in its heyday. That had been Roman law for most of the Republic and the early days of the empire: the Pater Familias could have any son killed for whatever reason, regardless of the boy's age. Interesting detail, though. Apparently, you couldn't just "bump off" an adopted son. The Law gave him a more protected status. Makes a kind of sense.
    Anyway, Remember, the ACLU has fought in court and won the right to starve useless mouths. So they have served some useful function - for certain values of "useful."
tschus pyotr
-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Add pictures here
βœ–

4/9ths of them couldn't even interpret the 2dn Amendment correctly.
Mark
βœ–
David Nebenzahl wrote:

The generally accepted definition of a "human being" is one that is viable, i.e. able to live outside the womb on its own. The legal definition varies from state to state but that is generally what is used. If the fetus is far enough along to survive but hasn't been delivered, some states consider it a viable human and a person can be charged with murder for killing it.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–

You know what I find interesting about that? That was pretty much the definition in western society and churches for close to 2,000 years, before the 1840s or so (1869 for the Catholic Church).
Somebody started thinking, around 1820 and for the next half-century, that all those earlier Christians were wrong, and that the system of rights that evolved from English common law into the "rights of Englishmen," and eventually our Bill of Rights, also was just all wrong on the subject.
"Quickening," "doctrine of delayed ensoulment," etc. -- it all said about the same thing. Abortion is acceptable until what we would now call sometime around the middle of the second trimester.
The Catholic Church, despite what has been said by Cardinal Egan and many others, only opposed abortion unevenly before 1869. And the reason they opposed it was not because of the life of the fetus. It was because an aborted pregnancy was prima facie evidence of sex that was performed for a reason other than procreation. The mother was assigned penance because she sinned in sex, not because she committed homicide. Period.
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:11:19 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

As usual, I'm stunned by the depth and variety of knowledge on RCM. This time, I, for once, might be able to add something that perhaps was unknown to the group:
In traditional astrology, the horoscope (natal chart) was to be made for the moment when the baby took its first breath, because, supposedly, with the first breath, the soul entered the body. I don't think the astrologers would have dared to hold this opinion if it had been in opposition to the doctrine of the Church.
Unfortunately I can't give sources for this, as it was a long time since I came across this odd piece of information.
S.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Verrrrry interesting. I'll keep that one in mind to look into some time.
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jim Chandler wrote:

Here's what the Bible says about a fetus - Jeremiah.
Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. KJV
Add pictures here
βœ–
Al Patrick wrote:

I'm sure you could find similar in the Quaran. Fortunately the framers of the United States Constitution didn't create a Theocracy. You know, like Iraq has now done with our blessing and Iran did when they threw out the Shah.
You aren't an advocate of Sharia Law for America are you?
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

I thought that was, "Sarah Palin -- Kills moose and taxes the lower 48."
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Huntress wrote:

Sarah Palin has just about exhausted her usefulness Ed. She will increasingly become Albatross II along with Albatross I, Mr. Bush, going forward. Albatross Zero, which is where we count forward from these days, is John S. McCain.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

I see that the polls are creeping back down for McCain. His rolling average is back to +1.6.
That doesn't tell us anything long term, but it does suggest that the bloom may be off the Alaskan rose.

Did you see the crowd at his town meeting today? It looked like the audience for a seniors' ping-pong tournament in Utah.
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Huntress wrote:

I had breakfast with Mike this morning. We have a commercial property in Redondo. Actually, he does, I just hooked it up. OOOH Baby! The thing is upside down but what I caught Holy Hell for was not being more forcefull in my comments when he and I sat down some months ago. HUH? I don't think my advice to get over to the nearest Bosley clinic was appreciated either. The Eggs Florentine at the Beverly Wilshire are still GREAT though.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Ha-ha! Send him a copy of David Crosby's "Almost Cut My Hair." I find that balding people appreciate that. <g>

Phffft! I had Cheerios and a banana at my picnic table....sheesh.
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ed Huntress wrote:

How far did you have to chase the monkey? ;-)
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

βœ–
Gunner Asch wrote:

No it isn't.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But it has a brain and beating heart. Sure sounds like a human to me.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Zootal wrote:

Or a frog. Make better kids if you want fewer abortions. Otherwise your "wisdom" isn't mush more than cheap electoral politics. You don't want to do the work. You want "Government" to do it for you.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

A frog fetus won't become a human. A human fetus can. Murder is murder, whether or not the "fetus" has passed through the birth canal or not.
Add pictures here
βœ–