Weird Stain on Oak stair tread-- how to remove ??

This may sound a bit gross or weird, but this is not a joke.

We have a cabin in a remote area. We visit the place every 3-4 months. From time to time, we have mice, and sometimes of course we find dead mice when we return after a 3-4 month absence.

When the mice die, they sometimes "stain" the area of whatever place they chose as their final resting place. Well, a mice died on one of our oak stair steps, and the stain cannot be removed. I have tried detergents of different sorts. I guess I could sand it down, but then all of the finish would be taken off that spot.

I was thinking that there might be some "household" solution or remedy that I could try for this.

Any ideas from this esteemed group ?? Any help would be appreciated.

--James ---

Reply to
James Nipper

Given that the steps are oak and that nothing else has worked, I suggest using a water solution of oxalic acid. It is possible that the stain is the result of iron particles / minerals in the step or from the mouse (blood?) reacting with tannin in the oak in the presence of water. Do not breathe the dry oxalic acid. Use gloves. Apply the saturated solution. Let it dry. Wipe it up with a damp cloth to keep down the oxalic acid dust down. You should probably treat the whole step to keep the cleaned parts from appearing as a light blotch on the step.

Good Luck.

To email, remove ng's.

Reply to
Baron