Weedeater

I have a 6 yr old weedeater ( Poulan XT200) which has begun to run badly. It stopped running all together due to a faulty spark plug. Replacing the plug did not restore it to good health, it runs with little power. I can rebuild the carb if necessary but have no idea how to check the compression. I'm concerned that at 6 yrs it may be worn out and not worth fixing. Any tips on how to assess compression? Any other advice?

Reply to
David Martel

Poulan, in my experience has disposable carburetor.............But, I have also had several experiences with clogged up exhaust ports (mufflers) on several different brands/models of two stroke engines.

Your best bet is disassemble and clean, and re-assemble and try it out. Low cost way of doing it anyway. It's your money.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Spark arrestors -screens can become clogged on the exaust , I remove mine and always get more power. Also carbon can build on the motor exaust port, use wood to scrape it clean remove muffler fitst. Buy a compression tester apx 15$ . Or the carb could be out of adjustment. Look at spark arrestor screen removal first.

Reply to
m Ransley

I did hose the carb down with Gumout recently. Carb looked OK. I will try the spark arrestor cleaning. I never would have thought of that and I do frequently use a gas mix with more oil than the recommended mix. Thanks for the advice

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Remove the arrestor, it is just a screen that gets carboned up. Unless of course you are in a high risk fire area, But I have never heard of a fire from small equipment. My 6 mo old Sthil I took back it would not rev to power, they just pulled out the arrestor screen and it was like new again.

Reply to
m Ransley

I checked the muffler/spark arrestor and it's clean. A small amount of build up at the engine exhaust port. Does anyone know what level of compression indicates a worn out engine?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I had the exact same problem with my poulan feather light. Thought it was the fuel but when i took it all apart is was the exhaust and spark deflector.

Reply to
Fogbank

A spark arrestor will always Look clean, remove it anyway to see, and look for carbon buildup. Id guess 140 is new compression at 60- 80 lb its shot . 100-110 it is still ok. My arrestors looked clean also, but removing my Echo yesterday helped it spool up faster. My Sthil would not ranp up at all after 6 mo, It "Looked " clean. And this is not commercialy used equipment, just bi weekly

Reply to
m Ransley

Dave you E mailed me, my response to you was blocked- returned by your system

Reply to
m Ransley