Weather station

Page 2 of 2

That looks pretty good. The temperature sensor is supposed to be away from a building, but you have to work with what you have. What did you use for the mast pipe?
wrote in message

Yea the supplied wires are 10' long -- 5' of pole doesn't leave much left for placing it out of the sun. I did call them the other day and asked if the wires, which appear to nothing more than phone cable jacks and all, were indeed wired the same internally. They said yes. So assuming length is not an issue I guess you could go get a couple of 50 footers and put the temp sensor where ever. Hard to place it considering all that can affect it. I know you mentioned under a deck. With good ground clearance that might be a good one. With low clearance you would have it getting a low reading from the cool soil.
The mast is 3/4 copper pipe. The supplied 2' mast fits perfectly inside the Cu pipe. Not sure if I created an ungrounded lightning rod though!

Well, haven't had to deal with the mentioned garbage can hit but we had the ice and sleet storm here on Saturday in southern NC. The wind direction and speed thingys are frozen solid up there. See how it fares when it thaws.

Wow, 4 degrees off. I'd return it. I still use a broken aquarium alcohol thermometer corked in a test tube and mounted where I can see it from an indoor window. For more data than that I use the Internet which gives me forcasts and satellite weather maps, better than anything you can buy.

Another idea. Make a water/slush mix in a clean container. It will be an accurate 32 degrees F. The $150 is a bit much, isn't it?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Most alcohol or mercury thermometers are calibrated at 72 and are marked with an itty-bitty scratch on the column at that location. Once you make sure your manual thermometer is set correctly, you can compare it with the new device with confidence.
If, as a result of your comparison, your new device is still inaccurate, call the company that made it. I'm sure they would rather make it right than have their name mentioned here.

differential, I'd not have bought it. At this point I think I'm going to return it and buy another brand with more accuracy.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Davis instruments makes nice stuff but are a little more spendy:
http://www.davisnet.com /
Oregon scientific also makes good stuff:
http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/browse.asp?cid=2&scid

The Davis stuff is nice, but $600 The Oregon scientific as the same 2 degree tolerance that the Accurite has. Only difference is they may be in tolerance while mine is not.
I did find a Zephyr Instruments that is half a degree. I'm going to call Accurite and see what they have to say before taking it back to the store and ordering the Zephyr.

If it's the PWS-1000TB you're eyeballing, I saw $131.95 + s&h. It was $16 to NC. You can start a Buy of it and it will tell you your s&h without putting in anything other tan zip code.
http://www.ambientweather.com/prpmpws1080tb.html
Lemme know if you find a better price.

Is that a HD or menardys unit, try another one, Oregon Scientific is ok, but maybe one big shop in china makes all of them, im sure you will find one thats not defective so mail order isnt best. I bought some radio shack thermometers for accurate remote monitoring and they were actualy about 99.9-100% that I verified with a calibrated mercury, Menards remotes were 2-4 f off on a batch I tried. I think Its just luck, getting a good batch.
My only weather station of sorts is my indoor outdoor thermometer from Walmart, about fifteen bucks. Runs on AAA cells.
When I was in school, we used to calibrate thermometers with ice water bath, stirred not shaken. That gave us a dependable 32F or 0C temperature.
My thermometer in the Blazer reads dependably two degrees high. If the gage reads 78F, the weather report on the radio is 76. I don't know of any calibration for my Blazer. Maybe your weather station has a tweak some where for fine tuning.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Where are you that the radio station keeps their thermometer in your car? Did you give them permission to install it, or did it come that way from the factory?
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:18:53 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Contact Government Motors :-))
My Ford temp gauge is off by 2 degrees, but at 110 - 117 degrees it really don't matter!
This is my experience with just about anything I buy these days. It does not work as it should. You need to fix it, modify it, or adjust it to get it to work as it should.
Quality control has gone out the window!
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Bill wrote:

or on realycheapstuff.com
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a LaCross Technology weather station. The temperature is spot on as compared to my old fashioned Vermont thermometer. However, I never did find a good place to put the wind thing (technical term) so I just took it down.
Costco has an OSI weather station that looks good, too, and it's $140. Costco.com search on weather station.
nancy
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Those are unfortunately low grade, non calibrated (or even calibratable) mass market units. If you want accurate weather instrumentation, you have to look at the Davis Instruments stuff, and yes, it does cost more than $150 for a quality complete setup.

I've had good results with Oregon Scientific, at least as far as temp reading accuracy go. In looking for a new one, consider the new internet connected ones. They show you the weather for the next 4 days, forecasted hi/lo, etc. in a neat summary fashion on the screen at all times, using numbers for the temps, symbols for sun, cloud, rain, etc. The display is wireless, an AC powered module gets connected to your router to receive the free weather updates.
But even this you can screw up. The Oregon Scientific weather station that has the above features would be perfect except for one thing. It includes a wireless outside temp sensor. But the display only shows the outside temp as part of the daily forecast that scrolls across the bottom of the LCD display, along with daily hi, low, sunrise, sunset, etc. So, you have to catch it, or else push a button to see it. That is incredibly dumb. And also something you can't figure out until you actually have the thing. I'd gladly trade the scrolling crap for just being able to leave outside temp up, but it's not selectable.

Did you send them an email??
Agreed it is really dumb.