We're doomed!

"[WINNIPEG] - The [Canadian] government is reviewing the safety of energy-saving light bulbs, responding to concerns the low-cost green alternative may emit potentially harmful ultraviolet radiation.
"Health Canada launched a study in December to test compact fluorescent bulbs to see if they emit ultraviolet rays - less than two months after British health officials issued a public warning that, in proximity, the bulbs emit UV rays similar to outdoor exposure levels on a sunny summer day."
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id 99852

Good I will get a tan.

Maybe the UVR will zap the meanies in our peanut butter..
--
Mr.E

HeyBub wrote:

Gotta wonder how UV from cfl's compares with regular fluorescent lights.

With the UV on my (radioactive) Granite counters, I know they will be sterile.
On 1/22/2009 8:36 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Awaiting a reply from Don Klipstein on this one ...
--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
On 1/22/2009 8:36 AM HeyBub spake thus:

From the article:
The United Kingdom's Health Protection Agency now recommends people should not be closer than 30 centimetres from an energy-saving light bulb for more than one hour per day, since it is like exposing bare skin to direct sunlight. The agency warns the emissions could cause problems for people suffering from medical conditions like lupus.
So lessee: 30 cm = less than a foot in real measurements. So if you're less than a foot away from a CFL (doesn't say what wattage, by the way) for more than an hour a day, it *could* be like "exposing bare skin to direct sunlight", something a lot of human beans do anyhow in the course of their life.
So *if* you suffer from a medical condition like lupus, maybe you ought not sit closer than a foot to a CFL bulb (of indeterminate wattage) for more than an hour a day.
Me, I don't think I'll sweat it just yet.
--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by

Balls, I'm still as pale as ever.
nate
(and when you're hairy too it's not a pretty combination)

I better get off this computer , and stop ussing my cell .
HeyBub wrote:

I love being out on sunny days.
--
Van Chocstraw