water well

Having survived Hurricane Ike, we thought we were in the clear. Not so lucky. After seventeen years of flawless service our water well pump gave out, yesterday. The water well company said he was surprised the original pump lasted that long. While discussing the replacement pump, I commented the original pump was set to shut off at about 40psi, and we have never been very pleased with the resulting water pressure in our home. He told me he could safely raise the new pump shut off pressure to 60psi without any damage to our plumbing. The concern I have, is with this increased pressure, will it shorten the life of the pump.I understand seventeen years on the first pump was a good run, but I would like to extend the life of the replacement as long as possible.
ron wrote: ...

No.
That's the pressure tank cutoff pressure; pump discharge is higher than that, anyway, and isn't affected.

60 lb. shutoff is very typical. I wouldn't worry about it at all

water well:

I got 32 years on a pump set with a 60psi shut-off.
ron wrote:

My pressure adjustment is at the tank in the basement even though the pump is at the bottom of the well (200 feet down).