Water softener

Finally got around to replacing my water softener today - bought it before Christmas. Had the piping all figured out and fitted when I found out the new one was plumbed BACKWARDS from the old one, so I had to cross the pipes. Couldn'r move them because they come out through the drywall of the finished basement laundry room. Added an extra hour to the job. Ended up wirh one weeper out of 13 joints - thankfully one that was easy to drain the pipe. After I gor it all plumbed up I soldered a #10 stranded copper wire from the ilet to the outlet copper pipe to maintain the ground connection across the nylon bypass valve (part of the softener)

Had a terrible time getting the one fitting onto the bypass - steel female nut onto nylon male thread that just did not want to start square. Ended up carving the first thread off with the nylon nipple and reforming the thread with my exacto knife to get it to FINALLY start true.

Including 2 runs to the hardware store to pick up parts, 3 hours start to finish for a 0ne hour job......

Reply to
clare

Why should your experience be any better than the rest of us? At least it was only off by a factor or 3, sometimes they run into a factor of 4 or 5, especially when the normal hardware store doessn't have the one absolutely necessary part.

Reply to
hrhofmann

BINGO!!!!!

Reply to
Ken

I ALWAYS atleast double the time it SHOULD take...Murphy's Law...It also helps to live 20 miles from the nearest town...LOL...

Reply to
benick

Thankfully I'm less than 2 miles from Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, and Home Despot, and less than 10 from the best wholesale plumbing and electrical distributors in the tri-cities area.

Reply to
clare