Water Softener

My well water is extremely high in calcium (I haven't tested it in a few years, so I'm not sure of the amount, other than "a lot"). It's clear, odor free and tastes great. I am using a small particulate filter now that has little effect.

I'm tired of fighting the calcium battles w/ gallon after gallon of vinegar and I have been researching alternatives on Google. I need to dissolve the stuff out of my coffee maker every 3-4 days.

It seems a softener is the reasonable route for a "whole in house system", but I can't seem to find clarity on some issues.

-Many advocate leaving the drinking water free of the salt process, but I also see many state that it is a minor amount that should only be a concern to salt sensitive medical conditions.

-Potassium is an expensive alternative to salt, but other than vague references that it's also harmful, I haven't seen any specifics.

-I do realize it can be corrosive to the septic system, but over how long and will more frequent cleanings help?

Reply to
Brynk

You need to know how much hardness and iron is in the water and you should know the pH. Then start researching softeners and learn how to correctly size a softener including the SFR and capacity you need.

Softener discharge isn't corrosive to a septic system.

Reply to
Gary Slusser

But the salt load can kill any salt sensitive trees or bushes that may be in the septic system's drainage field.

(Hi Gary!)

Reply to
David_T (MO)