water pressure tank

I have a water pressure tank located in the crawspace under my house that needs replacing.
I was going to relocate a new one into the basement of an addition we had built. I'm rethinking that I want to put the new one in the crawspace where the old one is.
The problem is the new one I purchased for the basement, won't fit standing in the crawspace.
Is there any problem with the tank laying on its side on a stand?
remove nospam from email to reply
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:38:03 -0400, John P Reber

I don't believe that will work well.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

John P Reber wrote:

I don't think sideways is a good idea. The bladder isn't designed to operate in that position. It may work (I see someone says it does).
I'm curious. Why did you change your mind on the location? A crawl space is a pee poor spot for equipment that requires regular maintenance and they don't take up that much room in a basement. Replacing it is a good time to put it where it can be worked on.
Harry K

The Amtrol instructions point out that the underground tanks must be installed in the vertical position. There is no mention position on the standard tanks. I'd interpret that as position is not critical on them.
See page 5, right column, bottom. http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/9015A290wxtio.pdf
Harry K wrote:

Just wanted to save some space, wand din't want have to run wires to the new basement ( still have inspectors poking around, and didn't want to explain new wiring :-) ) for the switch to the pump. Also, efore putting on the addition we only had 1000 sq/ft and every inch counted.
I don't mind crwaling under for maintenance. After thinking about it, the only problem I can see with laying it on its side was I wouldn't be able to completely drain the tank. I didn't think the bladder would be a problem, but not knowing how it's connected to the tank, I can now see how it could be.
John P Reber wrote:

Sounds like my house before the 18x30 addition. 26x26 but it did have a full basement.

IIANM the water goes into the bladder and the air is outside it. Really doesn't matter much. Layed sideways you will need to put the in/out pipe down. Maybe slope it so it will drain.
Harry K
I have installed allot of them in commercial hot water tank system and have never laid one on it's side. You might be able to pipe down and then back up for space. I don't what you have for space. You might call the manufacturer that seams like a the best idea, Most of us have or heads up our ass, hell were sitting home on the computer

when I had mine replaced, had the same problem and the plumber just put it on its side. I asked if it could be done and he said "no problem" What can I tell you????? it has been 4 years now and all is working?