water pressure regulator question

Page 2 of 2
trader_4;3291204 Wrote: >

That pressure gauge followed by the ball valve is the way I have the pressure reducing valve on my hot water heating system set up. The flow through that PRV is low and it takes hours or even days for the PRV to pressurize the heating system to the right pressure. On top of that, if there's air in the heating system, bleeding the air out of the radiators changes the pressure in the heating system and it's hard for me to know if and when the needle on the pressure gauge has stopped moving.
By closing the ball valve, I greatly reduce the volume of water that the PRV needs to pressurize, so I can find out what pressure the PRV is set to within a couple of seconds. I can literally watch the needle on the pressure gauge move to the PRV's new pressure setting and then stop. This makes it easy to set the PRV's adjusting screw to the desired operating system pressure, and then open the ball valve to allow the PRV to pressurize the whole heating system to that same pressure, however long it takes to do that. That way, if I bleed the air out of some radiators, I know that regardless of what the pressure gauge reads, the PRV will stop adding water once it's pressure setting is reached, and I don't have to be bothered checking the heating system pressure all the time to see if it's stabilized.
I find this system works well for me, but I'm not familiar with Stormin's situation to know if using the same piping would be of any benefit to him.
--
nestork

I would fix your pressure regulator or replace it if necessary. It should hold static as well as dynamic pressure to its set point, and it is obviously not doing its job. I agree that 50 to 60 psi is better.
I don't know how to tell if the regulator can be repaired, but if you change it make sure to put unions on both sides so its future replacement is easier. The regulators I have seen include a union on one side, but plumbers seem to sweat the other side. I had a friend's regulator replaced recently, and I insisted that both sides be unions.
On 10/2/2014 11:23 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

It does sound a bit high for static pressure. I've got to check with Mom, see if she cares one way or the other. She might just say to leave it the way it is, and walk away.
I like unions on both sides, when possible.
On 10/2/2014 11:23 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

That does help answer the OP's OQ. Now that I've got more answer, I will take a couple next steps. Thank you for your kindness, and on point reply.

At some point, the son needs to take a bit more charge of mom, to make sure things happen right. Not sure if this is the case, but as folks get older, kids need to be paying more attention. Responsible kids, anyway.
On 10/2/2014 11:58 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

one for home repairs. Thank you, a lot, for your wisdom.
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:58:28 AM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:

But in this case, mom is probably smarter, knows more about what's going on and more about pressure regulators than junior. Hopefully at least. She's probably still in charge of him.

I think I hear your mommy calling for you. She is rubbing her right index finger over her left index finger, pointed at you.

It seems to me that the regulator will only regulated the downstream pressure when there is flow. With zero flow the downstream pressure (of the regulator) can end up being the same as the upstream or inlet pressure. A little bit of leakage past the regulator, when there is zero flow can cause this to happen.--Only thinking out loud--- MLD
On 10/2/2014 4:04 PM, MLD wrote:

So, it's possible the regulator is bad? I'd been thinking perhaps. Thank you for the on topic thought.

I worked for a company and looked after all kinds of regulators. If the regulator is working correctly it will not let any pressure past it higher than what it is set for . You should be able to turn off all the flow past the regulator and come back a month later and it should still have what it is set for on the outlet side. As long as the flow is less or equal to what the regulator is rated for the outlet pressure should stay the same from no flow to the rated flow of the regulator. If the outlet side of the regulator has more capacity than the regulator, the pressure will drop off during this time.
If the regulator is bad and the outlet is cut off then the inlet and outlet pressure can equalize after a period of time.
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:07:52 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

What's wrong with you? Haven't you paid attention? Stormin says he only asked one specific question:
"I wasn't asking for specific advice. I was asking if that pressure seemed a bit high."
So, any and all talk about pressure regulators is off topic bloviating. The only acceptable answer apparently is yes or no.
Stormin:
You might have missed my post 2 or 3 pages of "banter" back.
You may very well be able to buy an overhaul kit for your pressure regulator. That will allow you to repair your regulator without having to replace it.
If turning the adjusting screw on the regulator has no effect on the downstream pressure (it still keeps rising to 78 psi regardless of the adjusting screw position) then, yes, your pressure regulator is leaking and needs to be fixed or replaced.
But, I don't think leaving the water pressure at 78 psi would actually do any harm to the plumbing in your Mom's house. But, even so, this really should be fixed.
--
nestork

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:21:12 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

What's wrong with you? Haven't you paid attention? Stormin says he only asked one specific question:
"I wasn't asking for specific advice. I was asking if that pressure seemed a bit high."
So, any and all talk about pressure regulators is off topic bloviating. The only acceptable answer apparently is yes or no.
On 10/2/2014 5:21 PM, nestork wrote:

My next step is to call Mom, and ask if she's concerned. I know of one faucet in the house I can likely leave it dribble, and it won't be noticed too much. The water use will go up, but to save a toilet valve. Even a slow dribble stabilizes the pressure.
While there, I'll try and find a model number, see how it's connected, etc.
Thanks for the reminder, to check on rebuild kits.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

There was a report out a few years ago written by CMHC(Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation) about the effect of duct cleaning. Conclusion, "not that effective, save your money". I always lived in a house built per our specs. Never lived in old house. Always forced air heating/cooling system with 16x25x5 Merv 10 or better filter/or Honeywell electronic filter. Never had dust issue(s) in the house even with cat and dog. My son was born with serious asthma, until he reached pre-teen he carried two different puffers all the time. But since Jr. high he did not need them. He started playing Tenor Sax in the band for 6 years and now at age 30, still does in addition to guitar and drum playing. Good diet, natural supplement, excercise got rid of that asthma for good. We conquered asthma in my house.
On 10/2/2014 10:59 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Computers, got to love em. Friend, your computer put this (very thoughtful) text about duct cleaning on to the bottom of a water pressure regulator post.
Perhaps copy this into a duct cleaning post, so the fellow with the relative with mild asthma can read it.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:22:55 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why are you so obsessed with water pressure? 78 is on the high side, but it's not abnormal or dangerous. Most of the houses in your neighborhood probably don't even have a pressure regulator, so they are likely at 78 too. Are they experiencing blowouts? Any geisers lately? There are a lot of folks that are in homes where they wish they had 78psi.

Some good videos and explanations here... Search: pressure regulator how it works.

That's the wat to do it. Good nutrition, healthy life-style.