water leak detection and shut off

I have seen two basic types:
1. place water detectors near water heater, washer, etc.
OR
2. monitor water flow into the house for unusual, constant flow.
I like the idea of the second type, as that would shut off the house water if a toilet goes leaking. Here is this type that I have found: http://www.flologic.com/
I am not a shill for this company, but wonder if anyone has any experience with it. It seems expensive ($1,500.00 if I recall). I have not found any reviews on line, and wonder if it is reliable. I would want such a device to just work for 25 years, no fuss, no muss. I don't want a lot of repairs/replacements.
Any competitors for design type #2?
Many products are available in market that offers a full range of products and systems that automatically shut off the water supply when a leak is detected in your home or business. For more information http://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquid-rubber.html

wrong link?

got it. Saw that in another post.
Pico Rico wrote:

I've used 'Waterbugs" to detect the presence or absence of water, then trigger an alarm and solenoid to a shutoff valve.
http://www.winland.com/waterbugalert.html
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:18:20 PM UTC-4, G. Morgan wrote:

I looked into the two different approaches a few years ago. I didn't wind up doing anything. I currently have one of the $10 self-contained, battery contact alarms located by the WH and furnace, protecting both. Won't do any good if it's a sudden catastrophic failure or if no one is around for long periods, etc. But if it's a more typical water heater failure, starting with a slow leak, it will catch it. I've seen people use similar by washing machines that are in the living space, etc. Same problem though, it will alert if it's a slow leak, but isn't going to stop a sudden massive hose burst when no one is home.
IDK anyone who has one of the intelligent types that looks for unusual water flow. The big question I'd have there is how many false trips do you get? For example, if you hook up a hose to water shrubs, or hook it to an automatic sprinkler to water something, how does it know that compared to a burst pipe, WH, etc? I would think you could get enough false trips to make it annoying.
Has the OP looked on Amazon, if they sell any such devices there, where he might find people's reviews? Or just google whatever the product is and "review". It's also an issue of what exactly you have to protect and what the cost is. I'd be skeptical that it's worth spending $1500 on for most people. And unless water is unusually expensive, I wouldn't be worried about a running toilet. For the toilet, they have new replacement valve assemblies that partially solve that problem. They have an interlock, where once the tank fills, more water won't come in unless it's flushed again. So, the slow leak from a flapper results in an empty tank, no water loss, and you see it. It's no good if the flapper gets stuck and fails to seat at all. In that case, water will continue to run.
In my case, I have the WH in an unfinished basement. My main vulnerability would be burst washer hoses. And if that's your main concern, they have devices for a couple hundred bucks that electronically shut off the water after each time the washer is used. Also they have the newer hoses that are supposed to self-shutoff if the hose bursts. Don't know how well they work. And for the WH, a WH pan under it that you may be able to route somewhere would probably protect against the typical failure, but probably not a total blow out. Just some alternate things to consider that while not perfect, could reduce exposure significantly.

That is one question I would love to have answered by someone who has installed one of the intelligent types (which monitors water flow through the service pipe). For me personally, if I have to hit a button when I am giving a tree a deep soak - I can handle that.

I was shocked at the price, not just for "is this solution worth the expense?" but also "$1500 for this little doohickey that does not even include installation?" I did not see much chatter on this or any reviews.
And unless water is unusually expensive, I wouldn't

A 2.5 day running toilet just resulted in an $800 higher bill. They have punitive upper tiers on their water bills. Appeal/begging is in process.
For the toilet, they have new

That is great idea. Brand and model please. And "generic name" that I might search/ask for. Thanks.
So, the slow leak from a flapper

Understood. But that you should catch by not leaving the house without making sure the toilets are not running. Should. Hopefully.
I am in the habit of turning off the water when I go on vacation. Easy to do, and it is on the check list. I will likely continue to do so even after I replace my 60 year old galvanized pipes.
On Friday, March 28, 2014 10:34:52 AM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:

Good grief! What's the rate there for water? Here in NJ, I get 6,000 gallons a month for the minimum rate. After that it's $6 per thousand gallons. Like yours, it can also go up from that. But I've never gotten to the rates that are higher. I think the $6 rate covers maybe the next 10,000 gallons.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Leak-Sentry-Water-Saving-Fill-Valve-400LSRP14/100393067?N=5yc1vZc6b8

I always turn mine off when I go away for more than a day.

Have you looked at the Watts Floodsafe line of connectors? It's a fixture specific solution, not a whole house monitoring device.
Descriptions and videos here...
http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/floodsafe_connectors.asp

They have clothes washer hoses that do 2 for the washer only.
Abosolutely don't rely on rubber only hoses, because they will burst eventually. Stainless steel clad at least, and if that is not enough get what you have below ALSO or the special turn-off hoses.
The owners manuals of washing machines say to turn off the water when not washing. Seems like the typical extra-caution junk, but it's not extra. They mean it.

Maybe I should add that I went out one day, came back 2 hours later, and the toilet in my powder room was spraying water all over the floor, raining into the basement, and spreading to the hall floor too. It had never shown any sign of trouble before, afainoticed. Glad I was only gone two hours, and it probably didn't start right away.
I havent' taken any precautions against that happening again.

A slow leak from my flapper results in the tank being refilled and leaking some more, constantly. .
In this case the leak was so slow I coudlnt' see the slightest ripple in the bowl, but the leak could be faster.
On Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:01:11 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

That's because you don't have one of the new water-saver type valves that prevent that. That is what my comments and recommendation were about.

See above.
On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 07:54:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Oh, yeah. I see that now. Sorry.