water in my sump!

About 2 months ago I asked about removing my sump pump and covering the sump over, since I haven't had water in it for the 13 years I lived here. After

2 days of extremely heavy rain I got water for the first time. It was only 5 inches and wasn't enough to start the pump, but it was water. You ought to see the creek down below my house...

I could have covered it over, as it would take another foot 19 inches to reach the floor, but now I am not so sure. I suppose if it came up another 19 inches it would also be coming in through the doors and the sump wouldn't matter. But it is something to think about.

Reply to
Toller

err.....thx.

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Well think before you cover it over!!!! It was put there for a purpose and friend you have no way of knowing when it could serve its purpose well. So think again.!!!!

Reply to
Jack

Cover it over as in "permanently seal it"? No. Put a removable cover on it. Sure.

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the other thread. If you have a sump that rarely runs, you should make a check occasionally to see if the pump will still run. Either manually activate the float or run water in until it does activate. The time to discover you have a problem is not when you have water overflowing the sump.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Good advice. I just replaced it because I tested the old pump and it didn't work! I debated long and hard over whether to bother, but found one at 70% off at a going-out-of-business sale.

In fact, I am going to go test the sucker now. With some natural water in it, I might be able to get enough water in to pump something!

Reply to
Toller