Water heater leak

Nine year old gas fired water heater has developed a slow leak, but enough to get the basement floor wet, at the hot water exit. Appears to be the main tube running up from the heater, not the union above.

From other postings this sounds like the pipe itself is corroding. Curious if there are any temporary fixes available that might give me a few days until I have time to replace the heater?

Reply to
Jim

Well since you don't seem to know where exactly the leak is located, fixing it is not going to be easy. Where exactly is the leak?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You can wrap a piece of rubber over the leaking spot and put a hose clamp over it.

The sell "ready made" stuff to do that too, like these:

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Looks interesting. Might these be available via local outlets or online only?

Reply to
Jim

Sorry, I can't do it all for you....Let your fingers do the walking.

But, as I said, a piece of sheet rubber about 1/8" thick and a couple of screw band hose clamps will do the job too, and you can get those at any decent hardware store.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Go to your local hardware store and buy a rubber clamp and it should cover the leak and just clamp it down on the pipe.

Reply to
Moe Jones

From what you describe it's the pipe above the heater. Why would you replace the heater because of a leaky pipe? Do you have your house rewired everytime a light bulb burns out too?

Reply to
alvinamorey

That main tube running up from the water heater originates within the heater and terminates with the connection to the household plumbing.

Reply to
Jim

yeah they tend to leak there, you can patch it but the tank will soon leak somewhere else.

regular hot water tanks are simple dependable appliances and easily changed if its not a emergency.

Reply to
hallerb