Water Heater Install: Replace gate valve with ball valve

When I install my new hot water heater, I am considering replacing the existing gate valves for water with ball valves. Any problem with that?
Thanks, Kevin
If you only need on-off, then I recommend the change. Every time I've had the chance, I've made that sort of replacement throughout my house. My experience is that the ball valves last longer and work more reliably then the equivalent gate valves.
- Magnusfarce

No problem, in fact it was a great choice when I replaced water heaters in two homes. Easily reached and easy turn off. -- Oren

And don't underestimate the usefulness of visual confirmation of the state of the valve.

if the new tanks drain valve is a regular valve espically cheap plastic, install a ball valve on the drain too.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

May I add a big INDEED to all the suggestions to go to ball valves wherever and whenever possible.
--
Grandpa

I had just an occasion to replace a hose bib. Yep, brass, ball valve, 1/4 turn. Love it ....
-- Oren

Everytime I get involved with plumbimng ball vaves are ALL that get installed, eventually the entire home will be upgraded:)
Do they make gate valves for toilets? when you see its plugged and going to run over a quick off would be wonderful..........

Eventually. huh? Me too.

None of my water supplies have any valves. It's a PEX system. Each fixture has 1/4 turn off at the manifold. On a single story home. Any water supply is simply turned off at the manifold.
-- Oren

in the case of a overflowing toilet thats not a good idea, having to run across the house. heck I want to stop the flood in a quarter turn

Agree. My pex lines can use an in-line type shut off valve. The one plumbing store that carries them is about a 30 mile round trip across town. Takes longer to go get them than to do the install. Next time I'm up that way I will pick some valves up.
No recent memories of an overflowing toilet (G).
-- Oren