water heater fell over in driveway - safe to use?

Last week I had a plumber install a new gas water heater. His helper had the heater standing up on the driveway and was sliding it onto a hand truck, when it fell over. The gray metal shield sticking out under the red thermostat got bent a little, and there's a little dent in the sheet metal about halfway up the tank, and the release valve got dinged. I didn't hear any broken glass sound, and the plumber replaced the release valve. The heater works ok, no noises, no gas smell. I realize the glass might have cracks that will shorten the lifespan of the heater, but my concern is just gas safety. Since I smell no gas, and since the gas-related parts are at the bottom of the tank (which didn't hit the ground - it seems the release valve got the most damage, and was replaced) is the heater safe to use? (I realize in hindsight I probably should have told him not to install it, but that's hindsight now...) Thanks.

It will probably be OK, especially the gas train if it is functioning OK now. A fall over is fairly gentle in the scheme of things.
The glass lining is not something you'd hear break. It is not glass as in window glass or a tumbler, but a coating on top of steel. Sort of like the enamel coating in a pot or the coating on a steel sink. Worst case scenario is a crack will allow the steel to rust out prematurely, but there is a good chance nothing happened since it was not a direct hit. The outer shell and insulation took a lot of the shock.
Overall, you are probably in good shape. Well, your heater probably is in good shape, I have no way of knowing how good a shape you are in.

fine. That said; I wouldn't have let him install it; you don't need dents and bends in a new appliance.

of whack during that tumble. It's not like they cost an arm and a leg, but even still - premature rusting, temp sensors banged up, pressure release banged up, drain valve banged up, burner knocked around. I think the others are right in that most likely nothing's wrong with it but some scratches and dents - but still.
Of course you have no idea how many times it fell over before it arrived in your driveway. If you rejected it, someone else, who didn't know that it fell would have received it.

You should have requested a new "undented" heater and it would not have been unreasonable.