Water Heater?

Page 2 of 3
HeyBub wrote:

I agree it's a good idea, but with the heat set to 67 degrees, it's too damn cold to stand in the shower soaping oneself without the hot water running. (some insulation behind the walls might be nice...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

how old is the tank? it might be sluged / sediment filled? bad thermostat or element. is your shower a low flow head? if you pay for a pro diagnosis its probably cheaper to just buy a new tank
if you can afford a 20 minute shower just buy a new 100 gallon heater:)
and before someone says tankless ............
know you will need to upgrade your main service to 200 amps just for heating water plus 200 amps for regular home use. a 400 amp upgrade is very expensive
if you like such long showers have you considered 2 heaters in series? that doubles capacity

I take 3-4 minute shower, what do you do for 20, watch tv? 20x3 gpm- 60 gallons. My electric has 2 thermostats-2 elements. Do you rent, is it one person use. 20 minutes could shower 7 people clean.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 05:41:23 -0800 (PST), ransley

3-4 mins? No wonder you stink Its quite apparent you dont know what kids are. Amazing the water they can use. Bubba

Another worthless Bubba post, from mr worthless.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:23:59 -0800 (PST), ransley

Just cant handle it when you are wrong huh ransley? Face it, you just aren't the brightest bulb in the pack. Bubba

you too sound like your married, typical husband wife banter:)
Dan wrote:

20 minute shower? What an energy pig you are.
I take 5 minutes at the most.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

Thermostats are adjustable. Have you tried turning it up? The usual recomendation is set by safety idiots who don't think hot water shouldn't be any hotter than lukeworm. If nobody living in your house is mentally handicaped then you can set it far hotter.

But that does not fix the problem. Note, he said "anymore" meaning it used to and now does not. Something broke.

thermostats lose calibration and drift, kids turn knobs. things happen.
increasing the tanks temperature a little may solve the problem. he could turn the tank to max after adding a tempering valve so no one can get scalded

If may fix the problem. if you're using 150 degree hot water instead of 90 degree hot water, you'll need much less as it'll be greater dilutted with cold water.

No, nothing is fixed. If one element is out it will take twice as long to get to temperature and once you've diluted the high temperature, it is going to take longer to recover. It may be a temporary work-around, but it does not fix something broken. Those thing usually come back to bite you in the ass at the worst times. There is no substitute for a proper repair.

You can't fathom that it might simply be the thermostat? It is worth checking.

I can fathom that, but setting it up to 150 still does not fix it if broken.
If the thermostat is the problem it must be re-calibrated or replaced. For a long time he was OK with the present setting. It no longer works. Why can't you fathom that something changed and must be fixed properly to make it work properly again? If it is set at 125 and the water is 90, something is wrong. If it is set at 125 and the water is 150, something is wrong. Using 150 degree water mixed with cold does not negate the fact that wherever it was set at worked before and does not now.
Work arounds are not fixes. Duct tape may get you by, but it is not a weld or a rivet. If one of the elements is broken, setting the temperature to 150 may compensate, but after the second element burns out, should he then set the thermostat to 200?
on 12/30/08 9:53 AM AZ Nomad said the following:

Thermostat is set properly. Close to scalding to clean my wine glasses.

Department of Health, here recomend at least 160 deg F for safe and sanitary dish washing.
However if small children are using taps that may be too high y to avaoid scalding. On the subjcet of efficiency; it depends where the 'wasted' heat from an older less well insulated tank will go. In our case it escapes into and helps heat the house which requires some heating for at least ten months of the year and is heated electrically (from hydro generated power) in any case.

20 minutes!! Wow. I thought DH's 10 minute showers were bad. Yes, his hair is waist length (so's mine) so there's washing and conditioning, but he shaves at the sink. I shave my legs in the shower, and I still can get out in under 4 minutes. Of course, I don't feel the need to stand there in a zen trance forever, like DH. All that's missing is the "ooommmm".
i could just feel around my heaters elements to tell if it was working..
Dan wrote:

Just google 'water heater diagnosis'. You'll find sites with gobs of easy-to-follow instructions.