Water Heater?

If my electric water heater is not providing adequate hot water for a 20 minute shower anymore is it time for total replacement or just replacing the thermostat? TIA, Dan

Reply to
Dan

Might be as simple as an inlet dip tube which has fallen off, or maybe one element in a two element heater is burned out, or as you suggest one (even possibly two) thermostats bad.

You'll need some diagnostic assistance and a decent VOM (volt-ohm meter)to learn what's wrong.

If it isn't leaking, it CAN be returned to normal operation by finding and replacing defective parts at less cost than buying a whole new heater.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

How hot is the water it does provide? I don't know if thermostats change their effective setting, but if they do and if water isn't hot enough, making it hotter will make it last longer.

Reply to
mm

The water heater probably has an element burned out, but it could also be other problems. Whether it is better to replace the whole heater or repair this one depends on what the actual problem is, the age and general condition of the rest of the heater, etc. It is not that hard to check one out if you have a volt-ohmeter and a basic kmnowledge of electricity. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

More likely one of the 2 elements is done

Reply to
clare

A 20 minute shower is a tremendous use of energy (and time!).

Leaving that aside though, some simple trouble shooting without even the use of a meter can point out the trouble.

While a technician/electrician might use a test-meter of some sort; because they have one and are familiar with it most parts can be tested with a simple light bulb. We have several test meters for example and it is usually a matter of which one is at hand etc.

Assuming we are talking about a standard 40 US gallon or equivalent, North American style water heater, connected to 230 volts and grounded.

However the style of question suggests that the OP has little/no electrical knowledge and should therefore get someone knowledgeable to do the work. The 230 volts and a tank full of hot water at pressure requires care.

Agree it is probably, most likely something simple such as burnt out heater element, defective thermostat etc. But since there are two of both in most tanks and the method they are usually connected (flip- flop between upper and lower etc.) while instantly understandable by a competent person, it can be confusing to someone working on it for the first time or only once in 20 years.

If tank not leaking; a shame (and wasteful) to spend at least several hundred dollars to have it replaced if it's a $20 to $40 repair item!

Reply to
terry

First thing I'd check would be whether there is 240 volts at the bottom element. If there is, check the element for continuity. It's probably burned out. I'm guesing the bottom element, or the thermostat switching that enables it, because it sounds like only the top of the tank is being heated.

Reply to
Bob F

Just curious, do you have a Prius or Inisght?

If the tank is 15 years or older, would you change your opinion?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You are taking a "Hollywood Shower." Have you considered the alternative of the "Navy Shower?"

  1. Turn on shower, get wet all over.
  2. Turn off shower.
  3. Lather and scrub.
  4. Turn on shower, rinse.
  5. Turn off shower.

Total resources: Less than 3 gallons of water in only two minutes.

It's for the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

how old is the tank? it might be sluged / sediment filled? bad thermostat or element. is your shower a low flow head? if you pay for a pro diagnosis its probably cheaper to just buy a new tank

if you can afford a 20 minute shower just buy a new 100 gallon heater:)

and before someone says tankless ............

know you will need to upgrade your main service to 200 amps just for heating water plus 200 amps for regular home use. a 400 amp upgrade is very expensive

if you like such long showers have you considered 2 heaters in series? that doubles capacity

Reply to
hallerb

I take 3-4 minute shower, what do you do for 20, watch tv? 20x3 gpm-

60 gallons. My electric has 2 thermostats-2 elements. Do you rent, is it one person use. 20 minutes could shower 7 people clean.
Reply to
ransley

20 minute shower? What an energy pig you are.

I take 5 minutes at the most.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Where I live I would repair it. I live in an area with good water and water heaters tend to last longer than in many areas of the world.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Thermostats are adjustable. Have you tried turning it up? The usual recomendation is set by safety idiots who don't think hot water shouldn't be any hotter than lukeworm. If nobody living in your house is mentally handicaped then you can set it far hotter.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

But the OPs name "Dan" might be short for Danielle.

Most Wimmen I know spend far more time taking a shower than guys do, viz:

Young Dannie has fun in the shower, With the water-jet set to full power. For it sets her aglow, When she aims it below, And she comes for at least a full hour.

(Adapted from a lim by Peter Wilkins)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I agree it's a good idea, but with the heat set to 67 degrees, it's too damn cold to stand in the shower soaping oneself without the hot water running. (some insulation behind the walls might be nice...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My WH is 18 years old and while I have not repaired it, I have replaced the T/P valve, drain valve, and anode. See no need to spend big $$$ to replace it as it shows no signs of failing now that I've caught up on the maintenance. (gas tanks seem to be far more expensive than electric for some reason.) Plus if I get a new WH I'll save the valves that I replaced for spare parts (actually, I'd install the ball drain valve in the new heater before even turning it on.) No, I don't drive a hybrid.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

3-4 mins? No wonder you stink Its quite apparent you dont know what kids are. Amazing the water they can use. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

false economy, a new tanks better insulation etc would save energy.

you are working hard to spend more on ehergy

Reply to
hallerb

But that does not fix the problem. Note, he said "anymore" meaning it used to and now does not. Something broke.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski