water-hammer problem?

Hi. This happens in only one faucet in the whole house:
While the cold water is running for a few seconds, there will be one single mild "clunk," in the line (while water is running). It won't clunk again while the water is running. However, if, while the water is running, I move the lever over to the, "hot," position, then it will clunk again (just once). Now, ifI leave that hot water running, there will be no more, "clunks," unless I move the lever back over to the, "cold," position, then I'll get another, "clunk." This will happen about 4 or 5 times. Eventually, it won't clunk anymore, regardless of how many times I switch the faucet back and forth between hot and cold.
If I turn the faucet off and wait an hour or so, I can repeate the whole process.
Any thoughts on this please? Thank you.
Probably no air bumper was instaled on that sinks pipes in wall, or it is to small
does not sound like true water hammer but the best thing to try is to turn the water off and open all the faucets hot and cold. once the water has stopped draining out turn the water back on and close the faucets if there is an air space above the faucets in the lines this should drain any water that may be there and put the air buffer back in.
Wayne

I remember my parents had that problem on an outdoor faucet for their garden hose. I asked a plumber that I met on a job about it and he told me to replace the washers inside. I did and the problem went away.

Westcoast Sheri wrote:

<SNIP>
Water hammer only occurs when a faucet/valve is being *closed*.
You didn't say which faucet, but if this is a kitchen faucet with a spray wand, I'd bet the clunk is from the "diverter" valve loacted in the abse of the spout assy.
And since this is apparently a single-handle faucet, washers inside the faucet are not the cause.
Jim

How to fix diverter valve?
Westcoast Sheri wrote:

May not be in the valve itself, although the clunk comes from there. If the wand leaks a tiny bit, the valve will actuate when the water is turned on. You'll have to fin dout. If the diverter is at fault, it is accessed by removing the spout (typical of most single handle models). If you have to replace it, I would try to have the replacement parts in hand.
Jim