Water condensation on a/c

Zen:

ZC> I am getting water condensation on some of my a/c vents to the point the ZC> drops sometimes drip on the floor. Some of the vents are getting a bit of ZC> black mildew, too. I'm in Houston, where it's still hot and humid as hell. ZC> Is this what's causing the problem. If so, anything I can do about it, ZC> short of buying a new a/c unit (the one I have is getting old). Thanks in ZC> advance for your help.

Are you stating the condensatino occurs at the wall vent, where the cold are from the a/c exhausts into the room? Sounds to me like there is a problem with excessive humidity (semi-obvious as you did state it's hot and humid!). The a/c unit should be removing a lot of the humidty but it appears you would benefit from a dehumidifer as well.

  • Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Reply to
barry martin

More airflow through the evaporator and the vents that are sweating should raise the temperature of the air and temperature of the diffusers enough to prevent the condensation. Proper airflow with longer cycles and more runtime (is the unit oversized?) should bring the conditioned space humidity down.

With proper A/C sizing, (small enough), to allow ample runtime, ?wire in a humidistat control so the unit has to bring both the humidity and temperature down to their set points, on each cycle.

udarrell ============ barry mart>Zen:

Reply to
udarrell

Good advice. Does sound like your unit is oversized, with a too short cycletime. I have my unit tracking on humidity rather than the temperature. After all, a muggy 75 degrees can be far less comfortable than a lower humidity 80. It has also brought down my utility bill, and that was a welcome item.

Reply to
Michael Baugh