Water backing up into tub

Hi,
We are getting water backing up into our tub which is at the same level as our dishwasher and kitchen sink. When the dishwasher drains or if the sink is somewhat full and it drains then for some reason water backs up into the tub and it is kind of nasty because it has all the gook from the drain in it.
I tried snaking out the tub but it didn't seem to help this time. This has been happening off and on ever since we had our kitchen remodeled and the new sink and dishwasher put in. The bathroom was redone also during that renovation.
Any ideas on what might be causing this other than a clog somewhere in the line?
Thanks for any feedback.
Steve
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:28:53 -0700, szeik wrote:

A septic tank that needs to be pumped?
Linux Registered User #327951
you have an incorrectly vented drain

That makes sense. Is it time to call the plumber?
Thanks, Steve
As somone else said - It could be bad venting. It could also be a clog beyond where the two lines connect (Even as far as a septic system as another poster suggested).

O.K.
We have sewers.
Thanks, Steve
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you weren't having trouble before the remodel then I would be going back to the contractor. The bad venting is high on the suspect list.
You could get a roto-rooter call to do the entire line to the sewer but I suspect it won't cure the problem.
Harry K
If it is bad venting then what would a repair job involve? Is it a really big deal? Is it something that only a plumber would do or might the contractor be able to handle it.
Thanks, Steve
On 15-Jun-2005, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I believe you said the problems started after a remodel. I can't tell from here but that seems to imply that some plumbing work that occurred during that remodel was improperly vented. I would think that your remodeling contract (assuming you didn't do it yourself, which I doubt since you seem to be eager to use plumbers), would specify that any work, i.e. plumbing installations, is to be done to professional standards, blah, blah, i.e. adhering to building code. Building code specifies properly vented drains.
So in other words whoever did your remodel, assuming it is in fact an improperly vented drain, botched at least this part of the job and should be on the hook to make it right. If that contractor needs to sub out a plumber then so be it. Perhaps they should of subbed out a plumber the first time. At any rate it seems to me that this is all part of your remodel and that your contractor should take care of getting it fixed one way or the other.
Whoever did the plumbing install should know whether they vented the drain properly or not. If they don't then they almost certainly didn't. Your contractor should find this out. If they did vent it properly then maybe the problem is, as suggested, a clog further downstream than you've checked. In this case your contractor isn't on the hook for it.
You are simply not allowed to tell him that. The original poster has told us not to suggest a clogged drain.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Difficult to say without seeing the installation. It could be as simple as re-routing a short section of pipe to having to install a new, complete run of vent pipe from fixtures through the roof. If you can get the contractor to look at it, do so.
Harry K
I had similar problem between the bathroom sink and tub. Had two plumbers out to no avail. Finally put Roebic Bacterial drain & trap cleaner in every night for a week and it did the trick.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I wonder if they properly vented the dishwasher? Did you use a vacuum breaker? Is it working? I never did trust those things, although I did have to use on once and it worked for the 10 additional years I lived in that home.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Well if mine was any indication it is a stopped up sewer line. I had the same problem except mine was the washing machine. It acutally backed up into the tub and and came out the base of the toilet. Called the plumber and they ran a cutter down our 4" line and ran into roots. He ran his full (Econo Rooter) 100 feet and we had no problems afterwards. When the cutter came out it had a tangle of roots hanging on to the cutter.
Lee
That's like finding a ball player at a base ball game, it's 100F out, and humid. The player is laying on the ground in the sun. The player is hot, sweatty, and pale. You summon an ambulance tech and ask "Well, do you have any ideas other than heat exhaustion"?
The answer (at least to me, from my keyboard in my living room) is so obvious I won't tell you. At least not in this post.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

www.tubgirl.com
Just to finish this chapter....
It was a clog in the drain. Had the plumber out today and he snaked it right out in 2 minutes. Everything seems to be working fine now.
I guess I didn't have the right technique when I tried snaking it although I'm pretty sure I had a lot of the snake out. I have the kind that attaches to a power drill.
Steve