wasps

Started my gas log (converted from WB last year) and I was visited by some sleepy wasps on the floor and on the windows. I checked the inside and as much of the chimney as I could see without seeing the nest. I would like to cook or gas them out but I 'm afraid I might cause a fire if the nest is in the brick chimney. any ideas?
Frank
FK wrote:

If they are truly wasps, you are likely to find the nest under an eave or other sheltered spot outdoors. Take a look on a warm day. If unused for a long time, the chimney may have an opening that allowed them through. They generally fly directly to and from nest, so their living quarters should not be difficult to find by checking the outside of the house.
If they are hornets, they may be in the ground or foundation. Look around carefully for openings
Cook away. It's a chimney. It's made for fires. Especially if you cleaned it after the wood burning days.

:) Started my gas log (converted from WB last year) and I was visited by some :) sleepy wasps on the floor and on the windows. I checked the inside and as :) much of the chimney :) as I could see without seeing the nest. I would like to cook or gas them :) out but I 'm afraid I might cause a fire if the nest is in the brick :) chimney. any ideas? :) :) :) You won't be getting hot ambers floating up with gas logs. If the chimney has a cap, they may be paper wasps just nesting on the underside of the cap, not creating a problem. If they are yellow jackets or bald faced hornets I would think there would be more than just a few wasps showing up. Their nest could block the draft of the chimney if large enough. The wasps may not be coming from the fireplace at all but have gotten into the wall/attic space to Winter over and a few have found their way inside.
--
Neat site:
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10 /