washing painted siding solution?

I need to wash/scrub a front porch area, including ceiling, of cedar siding/trim (white painted trim and white solid color Olympic stain) to remove dirt and mold/mildew. I do not necessarily want or need to repaint so am concerned that tsp might be too strong. What would be the best ingredient mix? TIA

Reply to
mccaldwell

Simple Green in water works for all my house washing, including vinyl siding and window frames, concrete, white aluminum trim, and painted wood. For tough spots (bugshit around outside lights), spray on SG full strength and let sit for a minute, then scrub.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks. Shouldn't some bleach be in the mix for the mildew, and is it ok to mix with simple green?

Reply to
mccaldwell

I don't know about mixing chemicals together. You might get some unwanted but spectacular results. Besides, it sounds like you will be working overhead, so bleach in the eyes would not be a good thing, and neither would Simple Green, for that matter. Any way of getting hold of a pressure washer?

Reply to
willshak

When washing siding, I believe that you actually want to do it backwards, starting at the bottom and working your way to the top. The problem is that the detergent/cleanser will run down the wall and leave a clean mark on the dirty wall that will be difficult to remove. However, if you start at the bottom, that problem is eliminated. Once you've done the job, just go over the whole wall to rinse everything off

Reply to
Jim Sullivan