Washing machine water valves.

Page 2 of 2

If the existing valves are hard to turn, I'd suggest getting them replaced.

Where is your machine and what will the water damage if a hose ruptures?
In my personal opinion, washing machine hoses, sink hoses, and toilet fill hoses are all very bad places to save money. (Once had a client whose teething puppy had found the toilet fill hose. The upstairs one, of course. While the client was away at work.)
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Is your washing machine outside and near a drainage ditch? If so you don't need the armored hose.

mm wrote:

Hi, Our washing machine is located in the basement right next to floor drain. But isn't there some safty device which will cut off water when hose bursts? What is it called? In years we never turn off water when washer is not used or we're away for length of time. Now I am thinking about my daughter's place where there is a washer. She lives on top floor of a high rise condo.

Even that is probably not enough. The hose can spray up or sideways when it bursts. IIRC, in my case it didn't, but when my little hose to my humidifier burst, it sprayed sideways over lots of things.

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:22:34 -0400, mm wrote:
<snip>

Mom's burst while she was washing and while she was still by the machine.Her location is the same. That sucker sprayed everywhere until she could figure out where to shut the water off. Luckily it only took her a minute to shut the water off. Had it burst, it would have been a mess.

There's that part where you have to plunge into the spray to turn it off, even though one's reflex is to go the other direction.
Lou wrote:

Home Depot plumbing maven said I could not add lever valve after twist valve cause of wrong threads. But he showed me, and I bought a pair of steel braid type hoses that come with a built in automatic shut off if the hose breaks. Went home. Newer machine came and the rubber hoses were in decent shape. Since machine is in a separate garage I decided a burst hose would do no damage except for wasted water. If I am still here in 5 years I will replace the hoses.
Thanks to all for your replies.
Lou