Washing Machine Not Draining

I have a Maytag Neptune washing machine that may be about 10 years old. The machine doesn't fully drain after washing, leaving a small pool of water in the drum and the close are soaked. I need to get a repair manual and take the drum out to see if something blocking the drainage. Actually, I'm not sure if its not draining or if the spin cycle is not working correctly. What do you thing the possible cause might be?

You need to watch it to determine if it is spinning correctly or not vs. a blocked drain. Two different problems, two different fixes...

Heck, I saw a small sock get in the drain system once.
Joe Boxer wrote:

If it drains down to that level every time it must not be a plugged drain. Sounds like the pump is timing out. Or is it just draining slowly. Do you watch it?