Washing machine drain backs up!

:Horatio Hornblower wrote in :news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: : :> Do you know off hand how long a 2 inch no-hub coupling is? : :Three and a half inches. I happen to have one on hand from repairing a soil :pipe. : Thanks. The one I just bought at Home Depot is 3 3/8 inches. Today, I assemble.

I'm wondering another thing. Do you have to affix the drain hose to the laundry sink? I'm worried it will jump off the edge. Actually, I got an idea to have a piece of plywood on top of the sink with a hole in it for the drain hose and something on the other side to hold the drain hose in the hole! Well, actually that "something" is going to be my stainless steel lint trap.

Reply to
Horatio Hornblower

I'm assembling the drain right now.

I'm wondering a couple of things:

  1. Should I use teflon tape in the 2 inch P-Trap nut?

  1. Should I (eventually) install one of two spigots on the laundry sink? I figure it would be good to have one to wash the soap scum (I assume that some will accumulate) out of the sink since I'll want to dump the washed clothes in there to sort (some into dryer, some on hangers to dry, etc.).

Reply to
Horatio Hornblower

Got it all put together - laundry tub, 2 inch P-trap, no-hub connector. I even fixed the leak I had in my cold water pipe today. I'm convinced I finally got it all right and did my second load of laundry today. This is my first washing machine ever and I'm pretty excited about it. Next is to install the dryer, but the washer's the big deal. Thanks to all who helped.

Reply to
Horatio Hornblower