SS cuts and healing?

Cut some stainless steel nails and one sliced a bit of finger skin as payback. Very slow in healing and am wondering if this is typical of SS or merely age advantaged attribute. Am taking Plavix to slow clotting but there wasn't excess bleeding just typical. Experiences?

Reply to
nospambob

As we get older.... Tom

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

You realy should see a Doctor. not ahr But i can give advise on hangovers , back pain, and , gas !! Calling doctor Larry doctor Moe Doctor Curly yep yep yep

Reply to
m Ransley

i dont take plavix, but an asprin a day and another blood thinnner.. find it hard to stop bleeding and bruise easy under the skin... always getting minor cuts or bruises someplace.. like picking up a carded item in the store with the hard/sharpe plastic covering on it... gotta carry around some bandaids in my wallet when i leave the house... its a sign of getting old (thats why you taking the plavix)..... and the plavix is doing it..... and the blood dont clot, sure beats a stroke..........

Reply to
jim

Do you have diabetes? This slows my healing somewhat and I have to be a little more careful than most people that even small wounds don't get infected. I take Plavix also, but this just makes it slightly slower to stop bleeding. Not a real problem for me. Keep the wound clean with soap and water and use some OTC antibiotic ointment.

If it becomes a real issue rather than just a curious event, it's wise to see a doctor without delay. My docs tell me that infected wounds can be bigger problem than most people realize, even if you don't have diabetes.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Stainless steel contains nickel. Nickel is implicated in many allergic reactions. Many women wore earrings with nickel components and ended up being so allergic to the metal that they couldn't even touch coins that contained nickel. It is possible that a cut from metal containing nickel has caused a reaction in your finger which combined with your anti-clotting medication may have caused a diminished healing.

I find that nicks and slivers from pressure treated wood, even if the sliver is immediately removed, causes it to become infected every time. Non-treated wood slivers do not react with me and heal promptly.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Many surgical instruments are stainless steel so it doesn't seem likely that there is any cause and effect in your case. Consider wearing gloves for tricky situations. There are new types of gloves for many work environments that are both reasonably priced and very effective. Even auto mechanics are using them these days. You can find these novel types at industrial supply stores for example. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I have several noticeable scars from working with SS. Not big cuts, not deep cuts, but just something about the way they heal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

N > Cut some stainless steel nails and one sliced a bit of finger skin as N > payback. Very slow in healing and am wondering if this is typical of N > SS or merely age advantaged attribute. Am taking Plavix to slow N > clotting but there wasn't excess bleeding just typical. Experiences?

Some types and locations of cuts will heal slower than others. Plavix (or aspirin) will slow clotting which isn't helping this particular problem. Cabbage (cole slaw) will help the clotting factor but not sure how to interpret things in your particular case. (No medical advice intended in this post.)

Personally if I was worried about a situation such as your's I would either call my physician or the hotline staffed by nurses at the local hospital.

  • "Man who drive like hell, bound to get there!"
Reply to
barry martin