Washer Machine Walks and Leg Falls Off

I keep leveling our washer and tightening all four legs so the machine is firmly on the cement basement floor but sometimes it walks so far that one of the legs even falls off. Is it possible the tub isn't balanced inside and the vibrations make the one leg unscrew?

Reply to
Jeffy3

if you got a whirlpool or kenmore take the top off and look at the snubbers(the wire metal pieces about 1/4 in. thick metal on about 4 sides of the top of the trub.. they hold on some rubber pieces that are just shove into place about the size of an old time bathroom tub caulk about 3 in. round.. sometimes the snubbs fall out of the machine and can be found in the bottom of the machine if its still there... they keep the tub kinda steady so it does not walk..... vibrate too much..... if this does not help. you can take a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 in. plywood the size of the bottom of the machine and drill four holes in the bottom the same area where the 4 legs go and put it under the washer and the washer will not walk??? you might have to attach the plywood to the floor???? i noticed that with a new tile floor in the laundry room our washer would walk.. with the old time...the feet kinda dug in and would not slide as much on that old tile.....

Reply to
jim

There are usually 'locking nuts' on the legs which have to be tightened up against the cabinet to lock the legs in place once leveled. Did you set those nuts?

Also, keep the legs screwed into the cabinet as much as possible. The further you have them out, the more they will flex and move.

Very possible if the machine 'walks' even with the legs close to the cabinet and their locking nuts locked in place.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I got to say, that's the most hysterical subject line I've seen in a long time. Makes me think of robots, or aliens.

"Resistance is futile"

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I kinda thought the same thing, too. Except the robot's really clueless and it keeps falling off its leg and flat on its face. It puts the leg back on, walks a little further, falls off its legs again, puts it on again, and so on and so on.

All in all, I just think it's a simple matter of someone not knowing how to put in a balanced load of clothing in the machine.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

My Maytag does the same thing but it doesn't have any braces of any kind up towards the top of the tub. It doesn't seem to matter how I put the clothes in. Any idea what would cause this machine to do it? It's a Maytag Performer.

Reply to
BNB7

BNB7 wrote

I believe most Maytag "Performa" washers have a snubber pad between the transmission support and the base and also centering springs which could be stretched but there are lots of things which can cause it before getting into the machine itself.

Is it on stable (concrete) flooring? If on a wooden flooring, it may need bracing.

If on linoleum, carpet or tile flooring, something may need to be put between them.

Is the machine level and the legs screwed into the cabinet as much as possible and the locking nuts locked in place?

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I turned the machine on its back and screwed the legs up as far as possible then tightened the locking nuts and so far so good. Thanks to every one!

Reply to
Jeffy3

Glad to hear it.

Dan O.