warer meter

Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by measuring 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?

Reply to
Frank Thompson

I wouldn't think so... sounds more to me like it was misread.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Doubtful. Meters can be mis-read though. Residential meters are pretty straightforward, but larger meters can vary in how they work. Some are designed to be read and multiplied by 10. I've seen two situations in opposite directions. In one case the company was using town water for year and it was discovered the reading was wrong and they were only billing 1/10 actual. In another case, they billed 10X actual use.

Some meters read gallons, others cubic feet. Another possible wrong translation possibility.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski