want to have outlets on a

MG> I have 2 power outlets right behind each other - one on the inside on my MG> house, the other on the outside. I want to plug in some lights to the MG> outside outlet and instead of going outside to plug/unplug the cord alll thMG> time, I want to install an on/off switch inside my house to control these MG> outlets. MG> MG> Can someone point me in the direction for some easy steps on how to do thisMG> MG> Fyi, there is a switch already installed above the inside outlet which MG> controls an outside light to my patio. Although I don't want to have this MG> light on the same switch as the power outlets, I wonder if there is someway MG> to use it for my purposes???
As the other responders pointed out, you need to add a switch which involves running a wire between the outdoor outlet and where ever the swithc is going to be located. Easiest run is straight up the wall from the outlet, staying in the same hollow between studs. Naturally that will also the ugliest spot to place a switch! Placing the switch elesewhere would require running the switch wire either up into the attic or down into the basement -- easier said than done in many situations, especially if this switch is only going to be used during the holiday season.
It will probably be much easier to use a remote-activated switcher like the X-10 devices (Radio Shack sells some of the basic units). Place the receiver in a waterproof and weather-resistant container ==> I use a 2-quart (?) styrofoam cooler upside down (so the water doesn't accumulate). The X-10 receiver is suspended from another piece of styrofoam wedged into the bottom of the cooler; a short length of weather-resistant extension cord is plugged into the outlet, routed into the cooler at the lid (the styrofoam compresses). The controlled device is plugged into the X-10 receiver's outlet, also through the lid junction. ............... : : Outlet =)----------X10 =)--------------Device :.............:
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* And so God said, "E=mv+2P/r" and there was popcorn!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
barry martin wrote:

Hi, Wireless module. You can turn on/off with push of a button. Range is ~40 ft. You plug this module and plug light into it. Tony
Another way is to replace the inside outlet with a combination GFCI / switch, and use the switch to control the outdoor outlet behind it.