wallboard installation

I have seen wallboard installed widthwise and also lengthwise. It seems lengthwise would have less seams to fill. What is the advantage of installing it widthwise?
--
"If I can hit a curveball, why can\'t I hit a ball that is standing
still on a course?" -- Larry Nelson

My BIL ( he is a professional rocker) says the seams are less visible when the rock is Horizontle

It also saves the mudders time as they don't spend as much time up and down a ladder or on stilts.
badgolferman wrote:

Running the boards horizontally is pretty much standard but not mandatory. This from the USG handbook: "Proper planning achieves the most effective use of materials, elimination of unnecessary joints, and the placement of necessary joints in the least conspicuous locations. One gypsum board should span the entire length or width of the wall or ceiling, if possible. By using the longest practical board lengths obtainable, end joints are kept to a minimum. Where they do occur, end joints should be staggered."
http://www.usg.com/resources/handbooks/ViewGCH.do