woodstove wallboard help needed

I'm preparing my house for a Vermont Castings woodstove that we're preparing to install in our living room. In the installation instructions it mentions installing a wall shield made of mineral board and spaced at least 1" from the wall by non-conductive spacers. Does anyone know where I can get these spacers and and other supplies and plans for hearths and shields on the Internet? Do you know of any good websites dedicated to wood stoves, construction of hearths and shields, and anything else pertaining to wood stoves? Thanks, Snyde

Reply to
Snydley

We made our own spaces from regular copper tubing. We used the concrete board as the backer and tiled over it. The copper spaces passed code where I am.

Reply to
robson

You should find everything you need at

Mike Paulsen

I see. My first thought was some kind of steel spacer, then I thought that the metal, including copper, could pass the heat on to any conductive materials. I was thinking maybe some kind of a ceramic spacer . Did you find any helpful websites when you were doing yours? Thanks, Snyde

Reply to
Snydley

The amount of heat you will get through the cement board is negligible. Use any material you like for spacers, pieces trimmed off steel or copper pipe are just fine, the latter more elegant, of course. You could even mount a thin aluminum sheet on the reverse of the cement board with silicone sealant to reflect any radiant heat. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe