Wall retrofitting: handling pipes and other obstacles

Building walls in a full (concrete basement). There are 2" drain pipes running from ceiling to floor, with very little gap between pipe and concrete wall (maybe 1/4").

How does one build a stud wall around these obstacles? I was planning on using 1" polybead (as a thermal/moisture barrier) against the concrete and a 2x4 (insulated) stud wall.

Obviously, I can't place polybead behind the 2" pipe. Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
David Bonnell

first clean then paint walls with dry lock paint as a layer of protection

10 mil plastic sheet over entire wall all outside walls overlapped at double taped at seams.

If you have ANY moisture problems FIX THEM BEFORE PROCEEDING!!! I cant stress this enough! A minor trickle of water in a open basement will be a coming disaster in a nice room.

Have you considered a ingress egress window/s, they make the space a legal bedroom upping your homes value:)

Reply to
hallerb

Polybead? Or do you mean expanded polystyrene sheet? If so, I would lay the 1" sheet as close to the pipe as I could on either side and call it good. It would be good to run metal-foil duct tape from the sheet of insulation to the OD of the pipe (vertically) This will help seal it, keep warm humid air from reaching the concrete. While you're at it, duct tape the seams of the sheet insulation too. You can then build your 2x4 wall up against it and notch out the top and bottom plates around the pipe, insulate and sheetrock as normal.

You may want to read this before getting started.

in the very early stages finishing my basement, and it sure made me change how I was planning on doing stuff.

Good Luck!

Reply to
J.A. Michel