Wall construction question.

I am putting a new switch in a partition wall. I drilled down through 3" of wood that I presume is a doubled 2x4 header. When I tried to put the cable down, it went about 3" past the bottom of the header and then hit a dead end. It is approximately the same height as the door frame it is next to.
Any idea what this blockage is? I can't imagine why there would be anything there, but I don't know much about carpentry. I didn't have the right drill bit to reach that far, so I haven't gotten into it, but I hoping it is just a 2x4.
thanks

of
cable
anything
Go 6" right or left as the case might be and drill a new hole in the top plate (the 2 2x4's that sit at the top of a wall. Most likely you are hitting the door header. Most doors in residential construction have the opening, a 1" jamb and two 2 x 4's holding up the header (which is over the door and supports the wall above the rough opening). As long as your wire winds up in same stud cavity as the opening you cut for the box you will be fine.
Colbyt

Since it stopped exactly the same spot where a header would be, I wonder if this was once an open wall - like between some kitchens and diningrooms, which has subsequently been sheetrocked.